CodePlex launches support for TortoiseSVN

CodePlex is now offering server support for SvnBridge, the tool that enables TortoiseSVN to talk to Team Foundation Server. Support for Subversion has been our number one requested feature, and by hosting SvnBridge, our users can now use their favorite Subversion client with any project.

What’s SvnBridge / TortoiseSVN / Subversion? What’s the big deal with server support?

Subversion is one of the most popular source code repositories in the open source community. TortoiseSVN is a Subversion client (similar to how Team Explorer is a client to Team Foundation Server) that is widely used among open source developers. We want TortoiseSVN users included in the CodePlex community, so we created SvnBridge to enable TortoiseSVN to work with Team Foundation Server.

SvnBridge illustration linking Team Foundation Server and TortoiseSVN

Our first versions of SvnBridge have required client-side installations, meaning that TortoiseSVN users first had to install and run SvnBridge prior to interacting with the CodePlex source code repository. Having to start the SvnBridge software prior to every session has been the primary cause of dissatisfaction with our TortoiseSVN support.

Setting up TortoiseSVN to use CodePlex

For users experienced with using TortoiseSVN, it is as simple as knowing the URL to use.

Make sure you use HTTPS and replace <projectname> with the name of the project. See SVN Checkout below for illustration.

TortoiseSVN within Windows Explorer

When I first started using TortoiseSVN, I kept trying to find the GUI or “TortoiseSVN.exe” to launch. Try as I might, there was no executable to be found. It took me some time to accept the fact that TortoiseSVN merges itself into Windows Explorer. For those coming from a similar Microsoft background as I am, you’ll find yourself scratching your head if this is the first time you’ve seen source control commands within a Windows Explorer context menu.

Show Log command on TortoiseSVN within Windows Explorer

TortoiseSVN in Action

The following illustrations will walk through some of the basic operations of using TortoiseSVN. Since SvnBridge is an open source project itself on CodePlex, I’ll use it as the example project below.

The first thing to try is starting the Repo-browser, short for repository browser, which lets you see the files in source control. The URL for the SvnBridge project is Using TortoiseSVN, CodePlex supports anonymous access, so you won’t be prompted for a login to see the files or for any other read-only activity. The Repo-browser is equivalent to the Source Control Explorer in Microsoft Visual Studio Team Explorer.

Repository Browser

Use SVN Checkout to download the source code for a project to your computer. You will see the checkout progress screen while the files are downloading. For Microsoft Visual Studio Team Explorer users, “Checkout” is equivalent to “Set Working Directory” and “Get Latest Version”, and “HEAD” means “the latest version.”

TortoiseSVN Checkout

After the initial check-out is completed, you’ll see the finished checkout window.

Checkout Finished

The Show Log command displays the history for that particular file or folder. Just select the file you want more information on, right-click to bring up the context menu, and select the TortoiseSVN command.

Show Log

You can also check out Steven Harman’s blog post for an actual TortoiseSVN user’s write-up regarding SVNBridge support.

1. You’ve been kicked (a good thing) – Trackback from

2. AlGonzalez says:

You can call up the Repo-browser from the command line using this: "%ProgramFiles%TortoiseSVNbinTortoiseProc.exe" /command:repobrowser

To allow passing the repository path, I use a batch file that calls it like this: "%ProgramFiles%TortoiseSVNbinTortoiseProc.exe" /command:repobrowser /notempfile /path:"%1"

3. I was trying to access newly created project and it yielded the following exception:

Could not find project ‘sigmaasc105control’ in:,,,,,,

Indeed, my project is hosted on tfs08. Seems like configuration error to me…

4. Support for Subversion (SVN) has been the most frequent feature request from CodePlex users, and today it has been added by popular demand….

5. Alan Stevens says:

Very nice enhancement. Thanks for this!

6. Woohoo! Codeplex now supports SVN . As an SVN user (via TortoiseSVN ) and follower of a few Codeplex

7. It is alive! CodePlex has Subversion Access

8. Very nice Sara!  Thanks from the community.

9. Mr-Yellow says:

How did they ever exist WITHOUT SVN?

Who would use a code repository that doesn’t have a repository 🙂

10. Mark says:

Maybe I am a bit confused but I have been using CodePlex and SvnBridge / TortoiseSVN since April.

What’s new … that it is actually supported now?

Confused :

11. Paul Batum says:

Mark: The news is that you no longer need to run SvnBridge locally. End users get the "it just works with svn" experience right out of the box.

12. Finalmente anche Codeplex annuncia il supporto diretto di SVN. Nei giorni scorsi mi sono trovato a dover

13. Ken Egozi says:

Awesome news.

As someone with presence in the OSS world, but not a TFS user, I got really annoyed by the friction of working on CodePlex projects.

I already use svn/Tortiose, and git, and just didn’t want to add Team Explorer to the mix. And running a local svnbridge was not an option either as my poor workstation didn’t like it’s presence.

So, great news, and thx to everybody who had his hands in this.

14. LA.NET [EN] says:

I’ve only noticed today, but it seems like now it’s official : you can use Tortoise to access Codeplex

15. ASPInsiders says:

16. lextm says:

Is there a guide on how to switch from Teamprise Explorer to TortoiseSVN?

In order to switch from Teamprise Explorer to TortoiseSVN, I had to delete everything from TE, and then recheck in everything from TortoiseSVN. Otherwise, there are always issues.

17. From our very own Sara Ford , word comes of Codeplex now offering server support for SvnBridge . SvnBridge

18. CodePlex is Microsoft’s open source project repository. It is built using Microsoft Team Foundation System

19. Do you use TortoiseSVN or the SVNBridge (or any of the Subversion client tools) for source control? Do

20. Joe Audette says:

Wow! This is great news. Now I can move the mojoPortal project, , to CodePlex.

I’ve wanted to move to Codeplex for a long time but we have users who work with our source code on Linux with Mono and the client side Subversion bridge just wasn’t going to make that possible. If I understand correctly, since its a server side bridge, the client doesn’t matter and it can work just as well with the Linux command line svn client. That rocks!

Thank you thank you!

I’m sure its too much to hope for a way to import from an existing svn repository? I guess we will have to just back up the repository and make a clean break from the old system.

21. I’m speaking at ReMix on Thursday in England, where I will demo the new Subversion client support for

22. Hi All, Zoals jullie wel of niet weten publiceer ik soms hobby projectjes via codeplex. Bijvoorbeeld

23. Supporto a TortoiseSNV per CodePlex

24. Jetzt können Developer auf CodePlex Projekte mit dem Subversion Client TortoiseSVN arbeiten. CodePlex

25. 앞으로 오픈소스 프로젝트를 만드실때 CodePlex를 한번 써보세요…SVN도 지원하기 시작했거든요.^^

26. Buck Hodges says:

The CodePlex team has announced that CodePlex now supports TortoiseSVN &quot;natively.&quot;&#160; In

27. says:

CodePlexClient 是一个.net的项目,提供两个很小的程序CPC.exe, TFC.exe 来管理,命令行模式,Teamprise Explorer在Teamprise可以看到,好像是一个收费的东西,还一个是和VS2005,VS2008集成的微软的工具,在Visual Studio Team Explorer wiki page有下载,不过面向VS2005的246MB,面向VS2008的有387MB,都是超级巨大。我比较喜欢小点的程序,所以还是用CodePlexClient。这个看起来是命令行,但用/gui参数还是有几个命令有界面。现在从创建项目开始介绍一下如何使用这个东西。安装和配置的过程很简单,可以参考Installatio

28. Ben Taylor says:

Thanks to you guys for adding this server side.  It is MUCH friendlier than the client side SVNBridge.

Where should I raise issues that we encounter with the Subversion support?  For example, I am looking at the log for a branch I am working on, and it looks very wrong.  I can write this up, but where should I do with it?

29. saraford says:

@Ben: I’ll route your question to the team for follow-up investigation. Best way to contact us regarding issues is either through this blog’s email link at the top navigation bar or via the CodePlex Contact Us form.

30. Scott Isaacs says:

Nice.  Is someone able to describe the steps needed to configure SVNBridge on our own server to talk to our own TFS server?

We have Mac developers and would like to provide a SVN interface to them, but they cannot run SVNBridge locally.

31. Ben Taylor says:

Thanks for the response and the information.  Subsequent to my last comment here, and before you replied, I logged what I *think* may be a more serious issue.  The issue is titled "Unable to Apply Patch Created on Trunk to a Later Branch Using TortoiseSVN & Server Subversion Support" and I have posted it over here

I have never seen this error before when using a real Subversion and TortoiseSVN (I have used Subversion and TortoiseSVN for several years) which is why I *think* it may be a bridge issue.

I was unable to glean much on the meaning of the error from the web.  I hope you guys will be able to shed some light on it for me as it is preventing me patching the branch.  Hopefully, it is user error that one of your gurus can pick me up on!

32. saraford says:

Hi all,

Your best bet for questions or issues regarding SVNBridge is to go to the project on CodePlex:

33. 今后如果要签出CodePlex上面项目的原代码,不用再额外安装SvnBridge了,CodePlex开始正式支持TortoiseSVN接口进行版本控制,这对使用TortoiseSVN…

34. Michiel says:

Good, now Mac developers can also use Codeplex…

35. onapthanh says:

I thought that The news is that you no longer need to run SvnBridge locally. End users get the "it just works with svn" experience right out of the box@

36. onapthanh says:

I already use svn/Tortiose, and git, and just didn't want to add Team Explorer to the mix. And running a local svnbridge was not an option either as my poor workstation@

37. Lioa nhat linh says:

Starting today, TortoiseSVN will just work as illustrated below, no extra software is necessary to work with CodePlex. I already use svn/Tortiose

38. <a href="">luxury Christmas gifts </a> says:

Hello, good post. I have been curious about this particular issue,so thanks for writing. I will certainly be subscribing to your blog.<a href=" Christmas gifts </a>

39. sanjay sharma says:

i want to access my newly created project "%ProgramFiles%TortoiseSVNbinTortoiseProc.exe" /command:repobrowser /notempfile /path:"%1"

40. novin20 says:

Wonderful blog. Thanks for the share.

<a href="">%D8%AB%D8%A8%D8%AA شرکت</a>