Announcing the CodePlex Source Control Client

A common theme we’ve heard from our users is the desire to be able to work offline (in the “edit-merge-commit” style) when working on their CodePlex projects. Six months ago, we started working to write such a client that would integrate with our existing TFS server infrastructure, and today we’ve released our first beta of the client.

The CodePlex Client is a command line client for Windows, and requires .NET 2.0. The online documentation is available here.

What’s left to do?

The basic workflow of the application is in place and usable today. There are, however, a few things coming in future builds over the next few months.

Automated Merging

We have a diff and merge engine in the system that we’re finishing up, and will be present in future builds of the client. At the moment, if you have modified a file and, during an update, you get a new version of that file, you will be placed into conflicted mode. You can use the status GUI (and a configured merge tool) to help you resolve the conflicts quickly and easily.

Anonymous Access

We will be enabling anonymous access through the use of our client. This means that, even if you are not a coordinator or developer on a project, you will be able to check out the source code and keep yourself up-to-date even as you modify the code for your own uses. Update: Anonymous access was added, and is available in the June 2007 release of the client.

Patch Support

An important piece of being able to contribute to open source projects is being able to provide patches to the coordinators and developers of the project. We will be adding a patch feature to our client to allow anonymous users to submit patches to the project for evaluation and inclusion. Update: Patch support was added, and is available in the June 2007 release of the client.

We Want Your Feedback

The client is obviously not as full featured as it could be. Please use the CodePlex issue tracker to file bugs and feature requests for the CodePlex Client.

1. The CodePlex team has announced the CodePlex Source Control Client on their blog today. There is a beta,

2. The CodePlex team has announced the additional Source Control Client on their blog today.The CodePlex

3. Stumbled over 3 different goodies for Team System and CodePlex that will be very valuable to me. Hopefully

4. Haacked says:

Very cool. Can’t wait to try it out.

5. This has the potential to be a VERY big improvement.

1) Where is the source code for the CodePlex site and the CodePlex client?

2) How can I enable these features on my instance of TFS?

6. Haacked says:

Will it support versioning of file and folder renames and moves? I can’t remember if TFS even supports that.

7. bradwils says:

Joshua, this client only works against the CodePlex.com web site.

8. bradwils says:

Phil,

The current version of cpc does not provide a way to do move/rename operations. You can, of course, do a delete and then an add, but you will lose the history trail.

If someone does a rename operation via Team Explorer, it does properly handle that.

You should log that as a feature request. 🙂

9. Brad – Sorry if my questions weren’t clear. I understand that the CodePlex client is written for the CodePlex site, which has a bunch of fancy code to wrap TFS. I was asking for how to get that wrapper code. I had no expectation of an easy answer 😉

10. bradwils says:

Sorry, at the moment the CodePlex Client is a binary-only release. 🙂

11. bradwils says:

Actually, I think I better understand your question now.

We didn’t wrap TFS. Our client talks directly to the standard TFS web service APIs.

12. I really like CodePlex . In fact, it’s one of the two gigs at Microsoft I aspire to be a part of (the

13. I really like CodePlex . In fact, it’s one of the two gigs at Microsoft I aspire to be a part of (the

14. I really like CodePlex . In fact, it’s one of the two gigs at Microsoft I aspire to be a part of (the

15. Adron says:

Lookin ql.  I’ll have to give it a go whirl.

16. What about the anonymous user support? I can’t find in the client documentation how to use that feature (and I really need it).

Thanks!

17. My mistake. It’s under the "what’s left to do" section 🙁

18. bradwils says:

Anonymous access and patch are available in the June 2007 release.

19. John says:

I am trying to impliment the exact same as codeplex for our team members located in different countries. How can get this implimented? which tools are used for implimenting codeplex.com website. How can we build a similer kind of website for our own purpose. What are the technologies used? Is it TFS webserver that is being used behind codeplex? It would great if some one could assist us in this.

20. Anonymous Coward says:

You guys infuriate me. You’ve just wasted six months reinventing subversion.

Your CodePlex setup is *that* special? You had *that* many engineers sitting around without more important problems to tackle?

Please stop crufting up my internet with this pointless nonsense.

21. oo says:

Guys, why do you throw another buggy source control client at us? Are you bored or just ignorant of Subversion and others?

22. Query says:

How to manage the .sql files in source control?