FxCop 1.30 released [Jeffrey van Gogh]

Hi All,

We just released FxCop 1.30! Please visit http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/fxcop/ to download it.

main features:

-No more locks on assemblies or pdbs
-Ability to resolve missing dependencies
-Ability to analyze just about anything running just about anywhere
-Analysis is now multi-threaded. And can be cancelled (via UI or due to exceeding an exceptions threshold).
-New, powerful data flow analysis
-New Rules, Rule Topics and Rule Fixes

Regards,

Jeffrey

1. Craig Eddy says:

Great work guys. This version is awesome.

2. Douglas McClean says:

Excellent work :).

One minor feature request for next time: when a rule is violated by a parameter, the target information could be more helpful.

Example:

Target : "0" (IntrospectionTargetParameter)

Resolution : "Correct the capitalization of parameter name ‘permissionID’

by changing ‘ID’ to ‘Id’"

It would be helpful to know the name of the qualified name of the method that this is parameter 0 of.

3. Jeffrey van Gogh says:

Douglas, good suggestion! We’ll try to get it in our next release. A workaround for now is doubleclicking on the message to see the details.

An interesting feature in that dialog is that if you select the second tab called "message" and doubleclick on the treeview you see there, you can make FxCop jump to that item in the target treeview.

4. We are using SSW Code Auditor at the moment. Is FxCop better any better? Can I write my own rules?

KKJ

FarEast

5. Drew Noakes says:

Fantastic. Thanks for your hard work on this, and for including the feature I requested (next/prev buttons on message dialog form). I have some more suggestions, though will post them on the GDN site.

Congratulations again!

6. Dana Epp's ramblings at the Sanctuary says:

OK. Kudos to the FxCop team. First off, I need to thank them for sending me this kewl t-shirt. Nice little Microsoft logoware with an FxCops twist. I appreciate it. Thanks Mike! Secondly… I installed the latest build(1.30) today and see that they fixed the biggest issue I had! It no longer locks my assemblies. So I now have FxCop running along side of Visual Studio! Next job is to figure some way to get it to execute on a post-build event so I can run it through FxCop after each major compile. And who says Microsoft doesn’t always listen?…

7. Thoemmi.NET says:

Maybe I’, a little late, since it is more than two weeks ago.

Anyway, the FxCop team has released version…

8. Chris says:

The file locking stuff is really cool but the rest of the app has become really unstable in 1.30. The new version feels really fragile, the UI is much slower and the configuration files are not readable anymore. It also pops up exception and file not found dialogs for me all the time. I’m wondering… can you provide a Whidbey version of the old FxCop 1.2 version until all the issues with the new version are fixed? I also agree with Dana, command line build integration is still missing in 1.30. Why do I have to create those huge project files all the time?

9. Chris says:

In case you haven’t seen this already: SharpDevelop now provides another guideline checking tool called "Assembly Analyzer" (full source code included).