We have just released the System Center Operations Manager 2007 management pack (MP) for Windows Server 2008 Network Load Balancing (NLB). It is available for download at: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=dc17e093-bdd7-4cb3-9981-853776ed90be&displaylang=en.
In addition to examining the health of your NLB cluster to improve the security, availability and performance, this MP in collaboration with the IIS MP can be used to provide IIS health awareness for your NLB clusters. For detailed information about the functionality of the MP, please see our earlier blog post: http://blogs.msdn.com/clustering/archive/2008/06/24/8648702.aspx.
Some features include:
· Monitor the NLB Node status
· Based on the status of individual cluster nodes, determine the overall state of the cluster
· Where an integration management pack exists, determine the health state of a cluster node by looking at the health state of the load balanced application, such as IIS
· Alert on errors and warnings that are reported by the NLB driver, such as an incorrectly configured NLB cluster
· Take the node out of the NLB cluster if the underlying load-balanced application becomes unhealthy, and add the node back to the cluster when the application becomes healthy again
Clustering & High-Availability