Download Office clip art on a Mac

It is possible to download free Microsoft clip art on a Mac, as long as you have Office for Mac installed.

Internet Explorer and Netscape users: here's a how-to article for you.

Firefox and Safari users:

1. Select the images you want  on http://office.microsoft.com/clipart

2. Click Download items (that's in the left navigation bar, under Selection basket)

3. Click Download now

4. When given the choice to open or save, click Save to disk

5. Choose a folder and click Save

6. Double-click the clip file to open it in Clip Gallery

7. if it fails to open, check to see if the clip file name includes a .cil extension; if it doesn't end in .cil, rename the file to include the extension:

1. Click the file name that you want to add the extension to

2. Type a new name that ends with .cil

3. Press RETURN

Tip: Start Firefox and go to Preferences > Main; select Always ask me where to save files, so you know where to find them.

Tip: Start Safari and go to Preferences > General; select a location under Save downloaded files to, so you know where to find them.

1. Leanne Stauduhar says:

This worked for me, but does this mean that I have to follow this process every time I want to download a clip art file from office?  I use a Mac and Firefox.

2. Priscilla says:

This worked!  Thank you so much!

3. Geranium says:

This doesn’t work for Mac and Office 2008 (Safari).  When you click download, it automatically goes to the download folder.  You are not given an option to open.  When you try to open the download you get errors saying Script Editor cannot open the file.  Help!

4. Geranium says:

Finally figured it out on my own.  After downloading the clip, open download folder and control click on the clip. Choose Open with Microsoft Clip Gallery, then it appears in the Favorites folder.  Now you can drag and drop the image into your doc.  Hope this saves someone else some time. If anyone knows of a quicker, easier way, I’d love to knowit.

5. Mollie says:

Exactly what I needed to know; Thank you.

6. Howard says:

Thanks for this workaround. It was driving me crazy to have a file that opened only as a jibberish text file. Please correct this bug so that the .cil is added automatically.

7. jess says:

Hi,

I try downloading the clipart into my mac office 2004 but the file became some textscript. I tried to convert it to .cil file but still i am not able to open the clipart. Please help~~~

8. I Want clip art in the office, if Iin search i ound picture I can left thie net

9. I Want clip art in the office, if Iin search i ound picture I can left thie net.I want to do powerpoint   I live in chitwan Ibecame third in class 4 in annual term

10. ABHISHEK says:

11. ABHISHEK says:

MICROSOFT OFFICE 2007 CLIP ART

12. Loislolo says:

I tried everything suggssted by everyone!! No success.  I am running OS 10.5 via Firefox. Yes I keep getting the script editor stuff.  Total frustration.

13. Gwynn Findlay says:

Can someone help me make a Birthday Card for me Granddaughter and Son?  THANKS!!

14. Lucrecia says:

This information worked for me; I added the extension ".cil" so I could access the file.  It shouldn’t, however, be necessary to add the extension.

15. psr says:

Now that I have downloaded, I am unable to use for my purposes with the .cil extension.  Is there a way to convert it into a .jpg or .gif file so that I can use the way I need to?

Thank you.