Visual Studio 2005 Class Designer will not support the C++ language

The Visual Studio Class Designer team is sad to announce that the Class Designer will not support the C++ language in the upcoming release of Visual Studio 2005.  Late last week we were forced to make a very difficult decision, which we are relaying to you today.  Needless to say this was a very painful decision, as we had invested a lot of time and effort in providing support for C++.  However, after analyzing the work items remaining to fully support C++ class design, we concluded it would not be possible to deliver a high quality experience for C++ users by product release.  Therefore, we have decided to remove support for C++ in the Class Designer.  Enabling support for C++ in the Class Designer will be a top priority in future releases of Visual Studio.  For Visual Studio 2005, the Class Designer will support the VB.NET, C# and J# languages.  We welcome your thoughts and feedback on this decision.

The Class Designer Team.

1. Anonymous says:

Visual Studio 2005 Class Designerは残念ながらC++未対応

2. Anonymous says:

You’ve cut C++ but you support J#?

Don’t get me wrong, I code in neither of those two languages, and it’s a shame you had to cut it out. But does anyone actually use J#? That’s a wasted language, I always thought (yes, i realise i sound like an opinionated a-hole 🙂 But I would have put C++ priority over J#, and and cut J# to have more time to work on C++.

Just my opnion 🙂

3. Anonymous says:

well, supporting J# is almost the same as supporting C#. C++ has different problems, it is a lot more complex and allows more complex architectures that are probably a lot harder to visualize and keep in synch. Anyway, I won’t miss it but it would’ve been probably nice to support it.

Btw, was unmanged C++ ever planned to support or just managed c++?

4. Anonymous says:

RGab is spot on – in supporting C# and VB, J# sort of almost came for free.

To answer your question, RGab, we had planned on supporting both native and managed C++ features.

5. Anonymous says:

Given the complexity of C++ reverse engineering compared to the simpler/cleaner languages such as C#, VB.NET and J# this is understandable. I hope support for C++ in the class designer is added as some form of service pack to VS.NET 2005 in the future (and not in VS.NET 2007, 2008 or whatever the next version will be).

6. Anonymous says:

Bummer – this means we won’t be using CD, and sticking with Rational XDE instead then.

We were really looking forward to getting a nice, easy-to-use design surface for our C++ code.

7. Anonymous says:

I think that this is very unfornate. In dev shops where you have a mix of languages such as C++, C# and VB you will see a delay in adoption of your new tools as a standard. Larger groups like to standerdize on one tool set. In addtion if you are like us and are in the process of developing mixed systems (C++/ATL legacy with C# addtions) things get muddled. I guess we will need to revisit IBM’s Rational XDE for the near term. I really liked what had been done so far it’s just too bad we will have to wait another couple of years. To be honest I would rather have some limited capablities in regards to C++ rather than nothing at all.

8. Anonymous says:

Yesterday I was at an MSDN event and saw a demo of the Class Designer. My first question was "Is C++ and Native code supported?". The presenter was not sure and asked me to check MSDN. Guess I dont have to.

We were looking forward to replace the Rational Suite. Guess that wont happen soon.

9. Anonymous says:

This is really sad to hear. I hope that the VSCD team will reconsider this decision. Lots of shops are mixed language, mine included.

10. Anonymous says:

Interesting finds this morning

11. Anonymous says:

Very, very, very sad…

12. Anonymous says:

A couple of years ago, Microsoft would NOT have released a new major version of Visual Studio without proper support for C++.

Now, this is the first clear indication that C++ is not #1 at Microsoft anymore. No matter what Herb Sutter and other says…

You know, it is not what you say but what you do that counts.

13. Anonymous says:

The VC team made a very sincere effort to support our (Class Designer Team) requirements. Their devs worked hard with us. But due to unforseen events they were in a state where they had to reshuffle resources and make some hard decisions to deliver a solid robust VC product. It is a hard decision but from customers point of view that team is doing everything in their possible limits to make C++ experience in VS grand.

There is a good synergy of tools among different languages in VS and there is room to improve as well. We will strive hard to close the gap.

14. Anonymous says:

Hi guys. I’m the product manager for Visual C++ and would like to address this as well. VC++ is absolutely essential to MS and our goal is – and always has been – to provide a first class development experience for our customers. It sucks when a feature has to be cut, but anyone who writes software for a living has had to make these types of decisions. Quality is a feature…and shipping is a feature. VB, C#, and J# essentially came as a package while C++ is a bigger beast. We didn’t make it into the timeframe this cycle, but we will for the next one.

15. Anonymous says:

Bill Dunlap wrote:

> We didn’t make it into the timeframe this cycle, but we will for the next one.

In other words: we will force you to upgrade (and pay!) twice.

I am almost as thrilled about this decision as I was about the omission of call-graph and caller-graph from VS 7 and 7.1

16. Anonymous says:

That means we’re looking forward to the next release of Borland’s C++ Builder

17. Anonymous says:

Since C++ is a standard, microsofts goal is to move development to proprietary languages like VB, C# etc.

I really like VC++ 2003 compiler! Is there any reason to upgrade? I’d rather spend money on some Mac hardware and start writing a new UI for my apps.

18. Anonymous says:

I thought C# was a standard too 😉

19. Anonymous says:

Like people are saying; it’s sucks when highly anticipated features have to be cut. But, they are cut for a reason.

Right now people are bummed out because they don’t know what’s going to happen from now on. Will Microsoft ever impliment Class Designer for VC++? Will it be in the next version (which I have to pay extra)?

I understand that to have a product ship on time you have to have tradeoffs (can I have the tradeoff triangle sounding in the distance?). What I would suggest is that Microsoft ship Visual Studio 2005 without VC++ Class Designer support and later, when the feature is complete, release it as a free upgrade to Visual Studio with a "sorry it’s late, but it’s finally here" line.