Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Tools: Visual Studio 2005 Extensions

This is what people who are new to SharePoint development have been after for quite some time.

Killer Feature Alert!:  Generate a site definition from an existing SharePoint Site!!!!!

This Community Technology Preview (CTP) of the Visual Studio 2005 Extensions for Windows SharePoint Services contains the following tools to aid developers in building SharePoint applications:

Visual Studio 2005 Project Templates

• Web Part
  • Team Site Definition
  • Blank Site Definition
  • List Definition

Visual Studio 2005 Item Templates (items that can be added into an existing project)

• Web Part
  • Custom Field
  • List Definition (with optional Event Receiver)
  • Content Type (with optional Event Receiver)
  • Module

SharePoint Solution Generator

• This stand-alone program generates a Site Definition project from an existing SharePoint site. The program enables developers to use the browser and Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer to customize the content of their sites before creating code by using Visual Studio.

1. New and Notable 120 [Via: SamGentile ] Top Five Developer API’s [Via: Scott Watermasysk ] ClickOnce…

2. Dmitriy Krantsberg says:

These extensions require Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 to be installed, which means Windows 2003 Server.  So developers are forced to develop on the server machines. This is not a nice approach.

3. chjohn says:

Hi Dmitriy,

Currently the only supported way of developing compiled code that uses the Object Model for WSS/MOSS is on a machine that has WSS/MOSS installed… so developers should be developing on a Windows 2003 server already.  Personally i run Vista on my laptop and use a Windows Server 2003 VPC to do my SharePoint development.  That also means i can use different VPCs for different projects & roll back my VPC state at any time … I would not go back to developing on my workstation any time soon.

4. Jos says:

Hi Cris,

I agree with Dmitriy, because it forces you to purchase an extra windows 2003 license for each developer in case you have no subscription to MSDN.

5. chjohn says:

Hi Jos,

I hear what you both are saying.  However, remember that WSS is licenced as a part of Windows Server 2003 … it is not licenced or sold seperate.  It will only install on Windows 2003 Server because to use it legally you must have a licenced copy of W2K3.

I agree that this makes it harder for people to develop for it on XP.  However the majority of developers have an MSDN subscription and therefore access to W2K3 for development purposes.

6. Ryan says:

Windows Server 2003 was never intended to be a developer workstation, and thus requiring it for development purposes is ridiculous.  Additionally, most corporate IT environments do not allow for workstations to run Windows *Server* 2003 either.

7. thamizh says:

I have a Win XP Tablet PC. I need to develop a custom Web Service for SP 2k7 but think it is not a good idea to develop directly on Win Svr 2k3, also I don’t yet hv permission to install WSS on server.  You said in your previous comment you use a laptop with Vista and Win Svr 2k3 VPC for SP development. So do you suggest I use your technique? I am having a hard time here trying to get permissions and required s/w installed on m/cs, and your suggestion is highly appreciated.

8. saalvare says:

The limitiation of w2k3 is frustrating, I agree with the rest of the gang, installing my dev environment again in another VPC just to use the extensions requires extra effort and headaches for developers.

Why you don’t follow the same approach as most of the server applications with a "developer Edition" (like SQL)? It seems the obvious approach.

We have received hundreds of complains regaring this issue

9. shawns says:

Here’s a possible solution to the problem:  I haven’t tried it yet, would love to hear if it works.

10. shashikant says:

i have installed WSS 3.0 and learning wss site creation. If any one have doc file related to Basic And Advance plz mail me

11. NickV says:

Shawns did u try Martin Vollmer’s solution? Is it work?

12. Chat Hong says:

Hi Chris,

I have been playing with the templates and notice that list definition project is impossible to debug (F5) compared to blank and team site definition.

Received this error message, ‘Object reference not set to this instance….’

I have googled about the above problem and none of the solutions work.

Any tips?