Car Registration…

As deep as we are into the digital age … and as often as the critics say “what else can there be” … i am still confronted daily by the lack of intelligent use of technology.  In New Zealand internet banking is huge.  LOTS of people use it … and i cant say i have been into a bank branch for over a year.  If there is no way of doing it on the web site i can ring up and have it done … but there are fewer and fewer of those things.  When i lived in the UK i was astounded by the banking system and how horrible it was.  People used to have to go to the bank!  WHY!?!?!  Madness!  Anyway … as much as i like New Zealand’s “adopt early” approach to most things … there are still thousands of cases of relics of the past lying around … like today … car registration…  why on earth do i have to go to a land transport office/agency to pay for my car registration? surely i can do that if i need the sticker on the spot … but why cant i pay over the net and have the thing sent to me?  CRAZY.

I am still confronted daily by things that are totally inefficient and a waste of my time …. so i say to all those who say “what else can there be” … what rubbish… there are thousands of daily tasks that can be made more simple, easy and accessible with the use of clever technology.  Mr Gates’s thoughts on the technology era only just beginning (shared with loads of other people no doubt) ring true with me … i look forward to seeing where all this goes … and being able to pay my car registration without having to line up like a farm animal.

1. Dylan Greene says:

Virginia lets you do almost everything online. Pretty nice, except some pages like the water bill page ask you for all of your details, then how much you owe, because it seems that not all of their systems are connected yet.

2. Dave Schwinn says:

I share your pain.

In Ohio (USA) we can now renew our car licenses online.

What really drives me crazy is how may governement agencies that don’t accept credit cards or ATM cards as a form of payment. Every year I have to dust off my cheque book and write a cheque, go to the post office, buy a stamp and an envelope and snail-mail my dogs license renewal to the county auditor.

Shesh!

I don’t live in the country-side – I live in the (approx) 30th largest ciry in the USA.

3. Dave, I live in the sixth largest city in the country – San Diego – in the largest state. We have to mail in the dog licenses. They do provide the option to pay the vehicle registration online, BUT they charge you EXTRA for that feature. They call it a "convenience fee." You think they would want you to pay online, as it would, in theory, mean they could have fewer DMV employees. Sigh.

4. The New South Wales (Australia) Roads and Traffic Authority allow you to pay your registration online for brand new cars less than 3 years old, after that you need a yearly inspection of your car so you have to go in to pay it.

They also have webcams of the freeways which I think is pretty cool, you can see how bad the traffic is before you leave the office each afternoon. http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/trafficreports/index.html

5. geeez you kiwis! when are you going to learn to come to the mainland to learn how to do things? 😉

In Victoria we can register cars online as well. See http://www.maxi.com.au/Vicroads_1.htm

6. Paul de Bazin says:

Completely agree Chris, but did you know that you can sync your rego to coincide with when you have to get your Warrant of fitness? For those outside NZ, we have to get our cars tested every 6 months to check that they are road-worthy. You know…. do the brakes work?… the lights?…. is it a piece of jap-crap thats rusted all through?….

7. Sorry to continue the Kiwi bashing 🙂 but…

In NSW the rego already coincides with your Rego Check (Warrant of Fitness) by default. I.e. you get your rego papers in the mail each year, and if your car is more than 3 years old you have to go to the mechanic for a rego check, he gives you a "pink slip", you go to your insurer and get a "green slip", and then you take those to the RTA to register your car. Oh, well, I just really never knew things were so different in regards to this. (I thought you Kiwis copied everything off us? :))

8. ALthough seeing the state of some of the cars on Sydney roads, I think maybe a 6 monthly check wouldn’t do too much harm anyway. Probably just save a few lives.

9. Chris says:

Ooh spooky, my name’s Chris Johnson too lol.

10. Ooh spooky, my name’s Chris Ormerod too

ps. different from above :p

11. No way, my name is Chris Ormerod too!!!

Different from BOTH Chris Ormerods above. There should be an international Convention for Chris Ormerods.

btw, the Chris Ormerods on this page are out-numbering the Chris Johnsons. LOL

12. Judi says:

In Australia, Car Rego is VERY expensive and the only time a car is checked is when it is sold. No other checkes are needed. I think a yearly check would be great instead of a 6 month one.

You can Bpay your rego and it is sent to you in the mail. Woo hooo no waiting in lines.

13. any interest in the registation McFly? if so contact me by email brian.mcgivern@ntlworld.com

14. joann harris says:

i live in VA. BUT IAM OUT OF THE COUNTRY NOW NEED TO REGISTRA MY CAR. CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO DO IT?

15. usman says:

ilive in peshawar but my car number is multan

how i check my car nomber file

16. Marianne Dunkerley says:

My son has personalised plates in QLD and we would like to know if there are personalised plates in Victoria as he has relocated to Melbourne and would like to register a new car in Victoria using hid peronalised plate number .

17. Nick Rodgers says:

Rego payments for NSW cars can be done on online now. Once you have had the safety check done at the mechanic’s, you can organised for it (pink slip), and your insurance (green) slip to be electronically sent to the Roads and Traffic Authority (RTA) and they will then allow you to pay for your rego online. Easy!

18. Jack Concord says:

PINK SLIP FIASCO AUG 2005

The pink slip system in NSW should be brought in line with other states and the one system used nationally that is a pink slip is only required when a vehicle is sold ,as in all other states.

The existing system is a lurk introduced in the 1940s by the motor traders assoc on the pretext of making NSW cars safer when inspected at that point in time and only that point in time.

Remember the Wal Murray senario he boasted my mecanic would just give me a pink slip he admitted this in the newspapers ,when trying to justify clamping down on what he did.

At least he dosent need them now rip.

As a mechanic and motor vehicle constructor having a national system to me seems logical ask your local member about this.

Regards

Fed up with needing a new mudflap or refilling the windscreen washer bottle which i dont use or removing the nearly one 0.05 of an oil drop.

19. Jack Concord says:

PINK SLIP FIASCO AUG 2005

At least he dosent need them now rip.

Regards

20. Zeita Rose says:

A wonderful idea

21. Liz says:

My boyfriend is out of the country and needs to have his green slip / rego for his insurance in Sydney.

Is there anyway you can get an exemption for this if you are out of the country as he’s not back for another 6 months.  Any tips greatly appreciated becuase I’m really confused!

Thanks