Windows 7 Vendor Compatibility Data Now Available in ACT 5.5

It’s been a long road to get here, but the checklist is now complete. Vendor data for Windows 7 application compatibility, previously available on the web and as a downloadable Excel sheet, is finally integrated into ACT 5.5!

Here is some information on this data, courtesy of the team:

How many applications do we have data for?

We have data for around 7,000 applications. What is interesting is that there is more work than just 7,000 – each application may map to more than one app ID, and in fact we have data for around 38,000 distinct AppIDs. (Incidentally, if you don’t see data for an application in ACT but it’s on the web, this could be caused by repackaging, by interim releases we are unaware of, or a number of other things. AppIDs are very literal and require perfect fidelity input to deliver comprehensive output.)

How frequently will this data be updated?

Initially, ever 2 weeks, so make sure you sync ever so often to see the latest data. As the vendor input tapers off, we may reduce this in the future.

Will the data have complete parity with the compatibility center?

It’s the same back end, but since we use different AppIDs we have to use heuristics to match between the different AppID schemes. Heuristics, by definition, can be imperfect. Add to this the potential issues above (repackaging, lesser known versions) and this would explain any delta in the data. We’re constantly reviewing our heuristics and improving them, plus we have long term plans to consolidate on a single AppID scheme.

Will I see compatibility status for 64-bit applications?

Today, it’s just 32-bit status, as that is what ACT 5.5 supports. ACT 6.0 will support 64-bit Windows and include 64-bit compatibility status. It should be released later this year.

Congratulations to the team for achieving this long-awaited milestone! I know I have already synced up my database.

1. Great news! I re-synchronized our ACT/ACF-sample-database and new vendor assessments immediately showed up. This will make ACT more valueable for our customers. Thank you everybody, who worked on the consolidation and integration.

I discovered a minor issue: Some vendor assessments show up several time. For example iTunes is marked with a yellow sign. When I open up the more detailed dialog there are three "related provider issues" stating the same (get free upgrade) with the same timestamp. Not a big deal, but it is there.

2. Rodney says:

Hey Chris, where can i find a fully documented list of what all of the compatibility fixes do. I noticed some of them will provide a brief description in the bottom right pane of the compatibility administrator but I cannot seem to find a full list anywhere that explains what each of these fixes can actually do.

Good to see the vendor data coming in now! 🙂

3. cjacks says:

@Rodney – the ones I have documented are in the help file, and also here: – I have not documented all of them yet, I am doing so in the order that you’re likely to need them and going as quickly as I can in my spare time.

4. Rodney says:

Thanks Chris – one more question. Is there a way to delete items from the ACT database through the console?

Can’t seem to find the option anywhere..

5. cjacks says:

@Rodney – Are you referring to the Application Compatibility Manager database? I think it’d be great if you could just press the delete key, but today you can’t. What I normally do is just create a query that filters out the stuff I don’t want (for whatever reason I don’t want it) and view that filter instead of the default views.

6. Jaime says:

Hi Chris,

When will ACT 6.0 be released?

We need to deploy DCP´s to 64-bit machines and gather their inventory data.

7. cjacks says:

@Jaime – should be sometime in the first half of 2010. I don’t have a firm date yet. You can still gather inventory from 64-bit machines with ACT 5.5, you just won’t be able to collect compatibility evaluator data from your 64-bit applications. I would run a proof of concept to see if it works for what you need today, because it might.

8. Jaime says:

DCP´s I usually deploy don´t run on 64-bit machines.

They don´t send any info to the database so I cannot view apps installed on these machines.

But the same DCP created do run on 32-bit machines and they send app inventory to the database.

Thanks Chris

9. cjacks says:

@Jaime – which OS are you collecting from? I’ve only ever tried running the DCPs on Win7 x64, where they work fine. It’s not officially supported, but works. I can ask the team for any info they have.

10. Jaime says:

SO is XP SP2 64-bit

11. cjacks says:

@Jaime – I’ll have them take a look. As far as I know, it’s never been tested.