How to Remove the RC Designation from the Windows 7 Reports in ACT 5.5

We shipped ACT 5.5 back in April 2009, several months before we shipped Windows 7. Helpfully (I guess) we decided to label it Windows 7 RC in the UI so you could specifically track your testing against the release candidate. We had the idea that we could update this via our web service, so that once we hit RTM we could just push out an update to modify this.

And apparently we forgot to turn this little bit of code on.

So, now we have a bunch of folks around the world who wonder why ACT seems to be in a beta phase and not ready for Windows 7 RTM.

Well, it is ready for Windows 7 RTM, and I bet some of you would like it to look ready. We’re really sorry we can’t do that using the mechanisms we planned to use, so I figured I’d let you in on the secret to the planned update.

We were going to update 2 fields in the database.

So, if you want your ACT UI to look ready for the future present, you can run this bit of SQL:

UPDATE dbo.OS
SET osName=’Windows 7′
WHERE osName=’Windows 7 RC’
GO
UPDATE dbo.OS
SET osName=’Windows Server 2008 R2′
WHERE osName=’Windows Server 2008 R2 RC’
GO

Enjoy, and sorry for the inconvenience.

1. Ganesh says:

Thanks Chris – I was wondering about this too.

2. TD Williams says:

Perfect. Heading off for an ACF on Monday and was wondering about this. Just fixed it in my Demo environment. Thanks Chris.

3. Patric says:

Hello Chris

This i a bit of topic, but I have a question about Data-Collection packages.

I have read the information regarding this topic at the TechNet website but I cannot find this specific information -> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749558%28WS.10%29.aspx

We are helping a custom with a application inventory, we have configured the Data-Collection package to save the logs to a network share.

But what happens if the computer is a laptop and offline most of the time? Will the logs be locally cached and then uploaded when the computer is connected, just like the “local” configuration? Or what happends?

Thank you in advance!

4. Mike DeBerg says:

Chris,

Thanks for the tip on updating the report headers. 🙂

5. cjacks says: