Announcing ACT 5.0.3 (a.k.a. ACT 5.0.5428.1080)

It seems like just yesterday I was posting about ACT 5.0.2 being released, but we just released ACT 5.0.3.

Application Compatibility Toolkit v5 logo

Now, I’ve had a couple of people confused about the version numbers we talk about, and what they actually see. For, rather unfortunately, you didn’t see 5.0.2 anywhere in the last one, nor will you see 5.0.3 in the new one. Why don’t we do you the honor of showing that in the help – about? As it turns out, we branched way back when at RTW, so the Main branch lived on, while the RTW branch was where we finished things up. As it turns out, the 5.0.1, 5.0.2, and 5.0.3 updates where all released off of the RTW branch, so 5.0.5428.x has remained the naming convention, and we have just kept incrementing the build number.

ACT 5.0.2 == 5.0.5428.1056

ACT 5.0.3 == 5.0.5428.1080

So, that being said, what’s new in the 1080 release?

• Update Compatibility Evaluator: The Update Compatibility Evaluator now supports Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 (Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 were previously supported)
  • Windows Internet Explorer 8 Support: We now support Windows Internet Explorer 8. The Internet Explorer Compatibility Evaluator as well as the Internet Explorer Compatibility Test Tool are capable of identifying issues on websites and web applications when they are run on Windows Internet Explorer 8.

Major Bug Fixes:

• SUA no longer crashes when the Application Verifier log entry is badly formed
  • No longer Fails to create shim database entries if the product name contains special characters
  • The CorrectFilePaths shim applied by SUA used to only fix a single path – this has been resolved and it now is applied correctly

• The Application Compatibility Manager no longer requires elevation of user privileges to run on Windows Vista (HOORAY!!!)

It does require you to uninstall the old toolkit first, and then install the new one. The schema changed, so you’ll have to upgrade your database also (warning if you’ve got apps or scripts crawling around in there). Hopefully it’s helpful!

1. Ganesh. says:

Cool Chris thanks,I am really looking and hoping to see future versions of ACT [SUA in particular] fully supporting .NET app’s in compability testing.

2. cjacks says:

Hi Ganesh,

I test managed code using SUA all the time – the only thing you lose is the stack traces. Of course, stack traces are a nice thing to have…

3. Ganesh says:

Yep , I was talking about getting the proper stack traces in SUA, it would make my life much simpler :).

4. ABC says:

I just want to run the Vbscript using the SUA tool. will this tool capture the UAC related issues as like when we are running the EXE using the SUA tool.

Thanks in advance.

5. cjacks says:

Knock yourself out. Just launch cscript/wscript with the command line argument for your script.

6. ABC says:

I am intrested to know abot how many shims are available in this New ACT tool kit version?

How frequently the MS will update the shim database?

If they update it, how will come to know?

Please could updat me.

7. ABC says:

In SUA tool……I have seen lot of tabs other than Files & Registries……..

So here do we need to resolve the issues for other TABs also.(like Previliges, Name space, objects, Tokens)

Will these TAB’s also effect the functionality issues?

8. Anthony says:

I’m glad that Microsoft is continuing development on the ImagingToolkit, but when are they going to provide add wildcard support for the CorrectFilePaths shim?!  This would be a most welcome feature, as I’m stuck with an application that uses some old commercial DLLs that try to use the root of C: (%systemdrive% or / or ) as a temporary file/buffer area when performing certain operations.  We have the original VB 6.0 source code for the custom app but not the commercially licensed (read: close-sourced) DLLs which are supposedly at fault.

The only alternative we have is to write our own third party app to hook the API read/write calls to the root of the drive and only calls that are coming from this one specific process.

Anyway, good work and thank you for maintaining this blog.  It’s a great supplement to the official MS documentation which in some cases notably lacking in content or clarity.

9. cjacks says:

Shims aren’t distributed with ACT, they’re distributed through Windows. ACT just provides the viewer and the ability to create custom shim databases with what’s already there.

We update the shim database via Windows Update – you’ll see them as application compatibility updates.

As for SUA, I’d use the Mitigation tool to find fixes for issues that appear in other tabs. Yes, they can absolutely affect functionality, otherwise we wouldn’t bother detecting them!

Anthony –

I brought up the issue of lack of wildcard support again today, and I’ll forward on your comment as additional evidence of the need. I’m seeing what I can do, and when I can do it…

10. ABC says:

Hi Chris,

Thanks a lot giving answers to all my questions.

I was in a trance like the shims are getting updated with the ACT tool itself. Now I understood it clearly.

coming to SUA tool. SO other tabs also will effect the functionality. But I am not able to understand issues related to other tabs other than Files & registries. How can I remediate it?…do you have any material with it.

Thanks in advance.

11. ABC says:

Chrish, How many shims are availabe now?…..If we want to know how can we? do we need to count all the shims by opening CA database?

12. cjacks says:

Just open up CompatAdmin and select Compatibility Fixes. We’ll tell you the count in the lower left hand corner.

How many there are depends on which OS you’re running.

13. ABC says:

most of the application are remediated using the WINDOWS XP SP2 VERSION LIE shim.

how it is working exactly after applying this shim. I mean to say, like whether this application will treat it is working on the windows-xp platform or whether it is redirecting any of the API calls?

Please can you answer this. I am really interested in knowing this concept.

14. cjacks says:

Please open the help file. This shim, among others, is described in detail there.

15. Chandan says:

Hi Chris,

I have a doubt that can we run SUA and ACT simultaneously? Like when ACT DB collector is running and at the same time we are running the application with SUA. will it crash if i ran the SUA and ACT together?

16. cjacks says:

It shouldn’t crashing anything, but since both use API interception only 1 is going to collect any data.

17. jegadesh says:

Hi Chris,

I am using ACT tool kit 5.0.3(5.0.5428.1080). In ACM, I cannot find WIndows XP SP3 Reports. I can see only Vista SP1 reports and XP SP2 reports. How can i check for issues with XP SP3 ? Is there any version of ACT tool kit that supports XP SP3 ?

I got info about Customer Preview Program (CPP) for Vista SP2. Will we get an updated version of ACT tool kit to check issues with Vista SP3?

And Crish, i like to say that Your team is doing a good job. All the best.

18. cjacks says:

Hi Jegadesh,

There aren’t any reports specifically for XP SP3, nor am I aware of any plans to add reports for Vista SP2. In hindsight, we probably should have just left it as Windows Vista and Windows XP, and not added SP1 for Windows Vista, because then people believe the label makes a difference. It doesn’t. The issues we detect would be the same, your tracking would be the same, etc. The community content could potentially vary, but that’s not a big source of data anyway and the value of combining them is probably greater than the value of separating them.

So, I’d just pick the one that is closest to what you want. We’re looking into letting you choose a platform you’re moving to and only showing that one, or otherwise simplifying the user interface so you no longer have the suggestion that something else should be there but isn’t.

19. jegadesh says:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for taking time to answer. Can we expect a post on Application Compatibility for Windows7 from you 🙂  ? That will help in taking a decision on moving to Windows Vista or wait for some time and move to Windows7. Will the money spent on making applications compatible with Vista continue with Windows7 or again we have to go through the process of ACT and shimming the application that is already shimmed for Vista.

20. cjacks says:

Hi Jegadesh,

Yeah, I’ve started talking about Windows 7 in conferences, but with all of the disclosure restrictions I’ve been a little nervous about what I say. I should probably give some high level guidance, though, because I now people care about it. I’ve just been trying to stay out of trouble. 🙂

21. jegadesh says:

I can understand the restrictions. From this source can get some idea about Application compatibility in Windows7. Hope the migration is straight and all Vista apps works with windows7  🙂