Windows 10 Anniversary Update SDK

Windows 10 Anniversary Update (build 14393, aka Version 1607) is now available along with a new Windows 10 SDK release. The Windows 10 Anniversary Update SDK (10.0.14393) can be installed via an optional install with VS 2015 Update 3 or as a standalone installer. This includes DirectXMath 3.09 and updated versions of Direct3D 12, Direct3D 11.4, DXGI 1.5, Direct2D/DirectWrite 1.3. Note XAudio 2.9 is unchanged.

GibHub: All of my open source projects have new releases to support the Windows 10 Anniversary Update SDK: DirectXTK, DirectXTK12, DirectXTex, DirectXMesh, UVAtlas, Effects 11, DXUT11.

DirectX Developer Runtime: The DirectX Developer Runtime for Windows 10 is an optional feature called Graphics Tools as described in this blog post. When upgrading from 10586 to 14393, the optional feature can be disabled rather than updated, which can be fixed by re-enabling the optional feature. Note that WARP12 is part of the Graphics Tools optional feature as it’s currently intended only for use by developers.

DirectX 12 User: Note that the new compiler will default to writing 1.1 Root Signatures which are not supported by older versions of Windows 10. You can force the compiler to emit older signatures using a FXC compiler switch. See MSDN for details. The latest version of D3DX12 requires the new SDK, and provides a helper D3DX12SerializeVersionedRootSignature for reconstructing a 1.0 signature from a 1.1 version (which assumes you have d3d12.dll set for delay loading since it can call D3D12SerializeVersionedRootSignature which is only present on 14393 or later).

VS 2013 Users: As with the past few releases, the Windows 10 SDK only integrates with VS 2015. You can use the Windows 10 SDK with VS 2013 via the props attached per this Visual C+ Team Blog.

VS 2015 Users: Use the custom installer option (or modifying an existing install) with VS 2015 Update 3 to add the Windows Tools 1.4.1 and Windows 10 SDK (10.0.14393) feature.

Direct3D 9 Users: Note that with the updated operating system, there will be some performance impact if you are using D3DCREATE_SOFTWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING or D3DCREATE_MIXED_VERTEXPROCESSING. The solution is to make use of D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING instead.

Samples: As with the previous releases of the Windows 10 SDK, official Windows samples are hosted on GitHub: Windows-universal-samplesWindows-classic-samples, Windows-driver-samples. Additional Direct3D 12 samples can be found in DirectX-Graphics-Samples. See also DirectX SDK Samples Catalog.

Related: Windows 10 SDK RTM, Windows 10 SDK (November 2015)

Windows10SDKVS13-14393

1. oscar says:

can you comment on why we see in new SDK on D3D12 headers struct D3D12_FEATURE_DATA_D3D12_OPTIONS1 with wave ops and documentation on Shader Model 6.0 on wave ops on MSDN but seems fxc compiler doesn’t allow shader model 6.0…
    seeing a GDC video seems a Clang based compiler is needed for shader modell 6.0.. how to obtain? if not avaiable some ETA on public reléase?

1. It’s still in development. My understanding is the compiler will be on GitHub later in the year.

2. `Markus says:

I try to install the SDK via VS 2015 Update 3 and can click it but it is not installed. Tried it several times. The Download Links for seperate SDK doesn’t exist. What’s wrong?

1. `Markus says:

I finally got it. Had to uninstall the SDK manually and then install the new SDK…

3. Octofrag says:

For the record, the Windows 10 Anniversary update totally messed up my gaming settings (gear: win10 64bits, core i7 6700k, sli of gtx980). 1st I had to reboot the SLI settings , then, once in game (essentially tested on blackops3) the settings were all messed up and I could not even select the “high” texture anymore. Game was laggish as well whereas I add 144 fps before that. I forced the video settings through the nvida experience panel, but once in game, lot of textures were missing (like in low settings but even worst). Rolled back to previous windows 10 version, everything works like a charm now…

So it seems like this WIN10 AU is doing something that the nvidia drivers wont like “or” is affecting SLI configurations. Anyone confirm ?

1. Grant says:

Yes also having Gaming issues with Anniversary Update and SLI, I’ve tried ‘Rise of the Tomb Raider’, ‘Assetto Corsa’ and ‘Fallout 4’ all through Steam and although I didn’t have problems with the settings being changed I can only play each game for approx. 5-15mins before I suffer a massive frame drop and the game becomes un-playable (10-15fps), even after exiting the game eventually…… my whole system seems very unresponsive and laggy. Shame because the games seem to play very smoothly for a while??? I thought it might be a driver issue, but I’ve also tried a clean install and the new Nvidia drivers 372.54 (Anniversary update x64 edition) but to no avail. Reverted back to ver.1511 today and all is good. Also using 2xGTX980 SLI with i7-4930k, 32GB Ram, Win 10 Pro x64, 2xSSD in RAID0.

1. This is not a gaming support site. You need to contact the publisher of your title.

1. Glenn Roundy says:

the problem is directly linked to the Anniversary update something was changed and now games are completly unplayable

2. geek says:

how do u revert back to to ver.1511 ?? can u show me the step ?? please

4. Klimax says:

Hello,
    will HLSL 6.0 be available to DX 11.x?

Thanks for answer.