Dynamics AX 2012 R2 has been out for a while now, but I realized that I hadn't posted updated information about its Office Interop capabilities here.
In Dynamics AX 2012 R2 we responded to feedback from our customers and partners to provide new and updated support in a number of areas.
Highlights for R2
- Document management
- New: SharePoint and SharePoint Online support.
- Excel add-in
- New: Office 365 support via export, filtering APIs, dimension descriptions, refresh on open.
- Improved: Table support (40% to 95%), services support, user experience.
- Word add-in
- New: Generate from template to Office 365, template storage in SharePoint Online.
- New: Lync 2013 and Lync Online support.
Highlights for R2: Excel
- Fresh data automatically
- Added a user option and an OpenXML API to allow refresh of a workbook on open to retrieve fresh data.
- Send to Office 365
- Added support for sending exports to SharePoint and SharePoint Online to enable use of Office 365 Excel.
- Localize it
- Added support for localized templates via column and field label support.
- Easier to use
- Improved the Add-in user experience.
Highlights for R2: Excel editing
- Filter workbooks from code
- Added an OpenXML API for programmatic filter changes so workbooks can be customized to a user.
- Lock it down when needed
- Added an OpenXML API to optionally lock down the design of a workbook.
- Dimensions explained
- Added the dimension descriptions as a field binding option and as a helper in lookups.
- Matrix fields as editable aggregates
- Improved the support for data entry in a matrix table via new "Add Row" dialog.
Highlights for R2: Word
- Store templates anywhere
- Added SharePoint Online support for template storage.
- Generate to SharePoint
- Added support for SharePoint as a document storage location.
- Dimensions descriptions
- Added the option of including dimension descriptions in documents.
Highlights for R2: Excel import
- Tables galore
- Improved our support for surrogate foreign keys (SFK) to improve the percentage of tables supported for import/export from 40% to 95%.
- Use services when needed
- Added support for key services such as LedgerGeneralJournalService and VendVendTableService.
Highlights for R2: Lync
- Lync 2013
- Added support for Lync 2013.
- To the cloud!
- Added support for the latest version of Lync Online.