I have recently converted several desktops and laptops to Windows Server 2008 x64 to essentially leverage Hyper-V and be able to run x64 bit images of Project Server (Virtual PC nor Virtual Server can host x64 images). I’ve had not had any software nor hardware limitations by making the move, all my devices work fine (used Vista’s x64 drivers) (smartcard reader, webcam, wifi…) as well as some of my favorite software's (Office, Messenger, LiveWriter, Visual Studio to name a few… :)) and performance rocks!
Several sites/blogs have been useful to configure W2K8 such as:
- Convert your Windows Server 2008 to a Workstation!
- Using Windows Server 2008 as a SUPER workstation OS
- Enabling Bluetooth on Windows Server 2008
- Hyper-V Monitor Gadget for Windows Sidebar (cool gadget to visualize all Hyper-V images running on multiple servers)
- Enable Sleep / Hibernate with Hyper-V