Project Server 2007 on Windows Server 2008 RC1

FYI I have just completed the install of Project Server 2007 + Service Pack 1 (and Office Server 2007 + SP1 as well) using Windows Server 2008 Release Candidate 1 (RC1) from MSDN.

I used this two great posts from Bill Baer to complete the install:

Two screen captures to prove it (check bottom right corner 🙂

Expect more posts in the future about the advantages of running PS 2007 on W2K8 (IIS7, hypervisor-based virtualization …).

In the meantime for more information about Windows Server 2008, please check the official Microsoft site here: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/default.mspx

MWSnap003 2007-12-17, 14_09_34

MWSnap004 2007-12-17, 14_09_52

1. bryant says:

Thanks for the post Christophe! When I go to launch the patched setup on 2008 RC1 with Hyper-V I get the compatability dialog and cannot get past it. What is the trick? The /RMTLAUNCH doesn’t seem to work here…

2. chrisfie says:

I did not try with Hyper-V but since we are very close to RTM I’d recommend you wait for the latest bits.

3. bryant says:

Now that we have the final release, have you gotten this working? I’d like to get this setup in Hyper-V.

Thanks!

4. szczepanl says:

Hi,

I have tryied to install it how it is described but it failed 🙁

I have installed wss with current sp and it worked ok.

After that I have installed Project Server with sp1. Installation finished with success.

When I started "sharePoint products and technologies configuration wizard " it failed on 6th step with such error:

Failed to register SharePoint services.

An exception of type System.InvalidOperationException was thrown.  Additional exception information: Cannot start service ProjectEventService on computer ‘.’.

System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot start service ProjectEventService on computer ‘.’

Could you advise me what to do? Is SQL SP2 needed?

Regards

Szczepan

5. chrisfie says:

Check the following doc: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc531331(TechNet.10).aspx no SQL SP2 is not required

6. szczepanl says:

Hi,

can you tell me what port number should be open to establish client connections to PWA?

Regards

Szczepan

7. chrisfie says:

port 80 for HTTP

8. wgharwal says:

Hello Christophe,

I am planning on deploying Project Server 2007 on Windows Server 2008 and SQL Server 2008 64-bit Edition.  Do you have any tips or gotchas I should be aware of?  Also, have you come across any documentation to deploy PS 2007 on Windows Server 2008 in a farm environment?

Regards,

Walid

9. chrisfie says:

Check TechNet for all the related deployment documentation including Windows Server 2008:

More doc will be published in the next few months

10. projecetbrah says:

You have to run the SharePoint services configuration wizard two times for it to work. Don’t ask me why. I used a video that’s pretty good that walks through the whole installation process of Project Server 2007on Windows Server 2008 at http://www.professionallytrained.com