On December 11th, 2007 Microsoft released Service Pack 1 (SP1) for the 2007 Microsoft Office System. SP1 addresses the issues of most concern to customers: stability, performance, and security. The service pack includes previously released updates and fixes.
Since Project Server, Project Professional and Project Portfolio Server are all part of the Office product family their respective SP1 was also released at that time.
Before you install the service pack there are some very important things to understand. In this mail I’ll try to provide you with the resources you need to be successful in your updates. It is essential that you understand the appropriate links, and thoroughly read the guidance and test out the patch in a separate environment prior to a production rollout.
Overview and What’s Included in SP1
For a description of SP1, please refer to the following knowledge base articles on http://support.microsoft.com/ (please note not all KB are online yet but should be shortly):
- 936984 Description of the 2007 Microsoft Office servers Service Pack 1 and the 2007 Microsoft Office servers Language Pack Service Pack 1
- 936988 Description of the Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Service Pack 1
- 937154 Description of the Microsoft Office Project 2007 Service Pack 1
- 937961 Description of the Office 2003 Web Components Service Pack 1 for the 2007 Microsoft Office System
For a list of issues fixed in SP1, please refer to the following knowledge base articles on http://support.microsoft.com/ :
- 942386 Issues fixed in Project 2007 by 2007 Office suite Service Pack 1
- 942387 Issues fixed in Project Server 2007 by Office 2007 Servers Service Pack 1
- 942388 Issues fixed in Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 by Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 Service Pack 1
- 942390 Issues fixed in Office SharePoint Server 2007 by 2007 Office System servers Service Pack 1
- 942722 Issues Fixed in Microsoft Project Portfolio 2007 Service Pack 1
Critical Planning and Deployment & Installation Information
Next before installing read the following documents which will help you understand the deployment procedure as well as tips tricks and troubleshooting steps:
- Planning and Deploying Service Pack 1 for Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 in a Multi-server Environment
- Deploying software updates for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0
- Deploy software updates for Office Project Server 2007
How to obtain and install SP1?
Patches for all products are available on Microsoft Update (recommended), Office Update and the Download Center with a few exceptions. Windows SharePoint Services and the WSS Language Packs are live on Windows Update and Microsoft Update. For those customers with low bandwidth, CDs will be available for order after January 15th for a small shipping and handling fee from a link off the Download Details page.
For additional information on each release, please see the download details page, in English, for:
- Office Language Packs
- Office Web Components
- Project (Project client only!)
- Project Language Pack
- Servers (MOSS, Project, Forms, Groove) (Project Server)
- Server Language Packs, x86
- Server Language Packs, x64
- Windows SharePoint Services
- Windows SharePoint Services Language Pack
- Windows SharePoint Services Language Pack, x64
- Windows SharePoint Services with SP1 (slipstream)
- Windows SharePoint Services with SP1, x64 (slipstream)