Are you considering upgrading your EPM database server to improve performance (more CPU, more RAM, and 64-bit version)?
If so, below the steps required thanks to Michael Epprecht:
- Create a friendly DNS alias for each SQL Server with a short Time To Live (TTL) (something like 10 minutes)
- Re-configure WSS/MOSS to use the new DNS alias as the SQL Server names.
- Build up the new servers with new server names (but instance names must be the same as the old servers)
- Take WSS/MOSS farm down.
- Copy the databases and jobs across to the new server
- Change the DNS alias to point to the new servers and wait for it to propagate.
- Bring up WSS/MOSS farm
- Test, if all is OK, leave DNS as is, else take WSS/MOSS down again and re-point DNS it at the old servers.