OneNote 12 is now OneNote 2007, and it’s in the box!

Naming baby!
Today our branding folks finally unveiled the naming for Office 12 (which includes OneNote 12). We will be known as Microsoft® Office OneNote® 2007, although you won’t find me using that 10 gallon moniker. It’ll be OneNote 2007 from here on out.

Not surprisingly, Office is also “2007”, and its official name is 2007 Microsoft® Office System. That term describes all the Office products of course, both servers (such as SharePoint) and clients.

Hey we’re in the big leagues!
The other big news for OneNote is that it is now included in some versions of Microsoft Office SKUs. (Stock Keeping Units a.k.a. “packages”). We’ve proven our worth and graduated from AAA status!

• Word

• Excel

• PowerPoint

• OneNote (woohoo!)

There will also be Standard, Professional and Small Business versions of Office available at retail, but these do not include OneNote. OneNote is part of the student-oriented “SKU” because it is seen as especially appropriate for students and we were looking for a bundle of software that matched students’ needs but didn’t have too high a price.

As you may know, retail sales represent only a small percentage of sales opportunity for Office and OneNote (which is one reason we don’t really advertise). Most of Office is sold to corporations directly. There’s the well-known Standard version of Office with the four core applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) and there’s the version most organizations use called Professional Plus 2007 (formerly known as Professional Enterprise Edition).

Professional Plus is a little different from the Professional version you see in stores. In addition to the core applications, Professional Plus has applications like Access, InfoPath, Publisher, and new for 2007: Communicator (our Instant Messenger for businesses). It also includes some special functionality integrated into the main applications to help with Enterprise Content Management (ECM). Essentially you can now have very organized workflow-based “content creation”, meaning that you can start a document and the system can already know who sees it next for review, who approves it, etc.

Still More OneNote!
The exciting news for the OneNote team is that there is now a new “SKU” for businesses called Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007 which includes everything in the Professional Plus SKU but also includes Groove and OneNote. This über version of Office is especially targeted at firms or groups within a firm that need to be mobile and collaborate a lot. For example consultants working a lot at remote sites or the mobile sales force.

OneNote makes sense here of course not just because it is great for note taking and capturing information in a mobile environment but also because of the Shared Notebooks feature. If you are out of the office a lot, you need a collaboration system that doesn’t require you to have internet access in order to work. OneNote provides that via shared notebooks which are like super-rich wikis that you can use offline and then have changes you and others made sync up when you later get a net connection. Groove of course is a nice complement as it provides a workspace for shared documents, forms, etc that can also be used offline. You can read more about Groove at Marc Olson’s blog.

OneNote à la carte
And of course OneNote is still available as a standalone purchase. We’re still offering OneNote for the introductory pricing of $99 ($49 for academic users). Get ’em while they’re hot! I recommend the béarnaise sauce be kept strictly on the side though.

Some people have asked me if there will be a further discount on that $99 price for upgrade users who already have 2003. The answer is “that is the upgrade price”. If you compare with Word 2007 standalone which retails for $299 and has an upgrade price of $109, you can see what I mean. Another comparison is Publisher 2007, which retails for $169 and has an upgrade of $99. Essentially the deal is built-in for OneNote. Come to think of it, we’re all upgrading from paper…

1. the one without a name says:

"If you go to the store to buy Office, you’ll find a few different versions, but the most common will probably be Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007. This has a suggested US retail price of $149. This suite includes:

* Word

* Excel

* PowerPoint

* OneNote (woohoo!)"

"If you compare with Word 2007 standalone which retails for $299"

Does anyone else find it odd that Word+ABunchOfStuff costs less than Word?

2. Chris_Pratley says:

There are actually some subtleties that I didn’t attempt to explain around the licensing which explains this. For example, Student and Home license does not allow the applications to be used for commercial use (or something like that). Basically if you want to use Word for "work" or commercial gain, you need to buy a different suite such as Standard or Word standalone. Hence we can offer the lower price. Also, nearly everyone qualifies for upgrade, so we sell hardly any full price Office or Word standalone since the upgrade suites are such good deals relative to those.

3. David says:

Are you guys crazy to take Outlook out of the student version?!?

4. Chris_Pratley says:

Hey, I just work here.

5. David says:

Sorry, wasn’t meant personal 😉 I intially thought it was a typo… Could you or anyone else give some reasoning behind this decision?

6. Chris,

Nice.  You guys deserve major Kudos.  I can’t wait for Office 2007.  Now, if we could just get you to post a little more     regularly, that would be just great…  ;>)

7. nick says:

I’m very excited about this release. Any chance we could see a Beta on MSDN?

8. Terri says:

Chris

The XP version of the Student and Teacher Edition of Office had a EULA which allowed only one copy of the software to be installed.   The 2003 Edition upped that to three copies, which I was very pleased with.   Will the 2007 version continue this generous EULA "tradition"?  I sure hope so.

BTW, I also am also puzzled by the ellimination of Outlook from the package, and would be interested to know the reasoning behind that.   Will a student standalone version of Outlook be available?

Thanks for the information.

Terri

aka terriblue on the Buzz

9. Bart Van den Bosch says:

Congratulations!

Can’t wait, when will the beta be released?

Usually the beta is more than stable enough so that the added functionality outweighs the defects…

My OnoNote is getting so big that especially the drag n drop and the hyperlinks between pages will be very welcome. And of course the shared notebooks…

I hope we don/t have to wait till 2007.

Greetings

Bart

10. Patrick Schmid says:

Hi Chris,

I guess I have to ask the same question everyone is asking about this package: Why no Outlook?

I know that Vista will have an enhanced Outlook Express, but I doubt it will be anywhere close to Outlook when it comes to calendar, tasks and contacts, all things students need. And all of that when you blog about Outlook-OneNote integration…

Patrick

11. stan kramer says:

wow…one note without outlook…to get both we’ll need the Standard bundle (presumably at more than $149) PLUS the One Note "upgrade" at an additional $99.

How would OneNote 2007 integrate with OpenOffice?

sk

12. Patrick Schmid says:

How about an "advanced home & student edition" that adds Outlook to the package?

Patrick

13. Ralf Uem says:

Don’t know if this is the right place for sugestions, or if it was suggested before, anyway, I do all sorts of research, photoshop, webdesign etc, and it’s kinda annoying having to insert stuff on my onenote, since I’m always pressing ALT-TAB, losing focus of my original application, searching on onenote where to put the stuff, going back to the original program (again alt-tab) losing focus of onenote, and to get things worse I use Opera for my browsing needs, so I can’t quickly move pictures on websites as easily as when using IE. SO heres my suggestion for onenote 2007: I’d like a way to run my apps INSIDE a onenote’s tab or page, so when I click on that page, that program runs with its window resized just like it was ‘inside’ that page, and both programs (onenote and my app) never lose focus to each other, almost like Onenote swallowed that app, so it only has one bar on my programs list (the onenote) and when I minimize to tray that app minimizes too. I’ll try to make some screenshots to demonstrate what I’m thinking and post later if needed. What do you guys think?

14. Chris_Pratley says:

I realize that everybody has an "ideal" set of apps they would like in a suite, but it doesn’t work that way. I also realize that people would like more stuff for free or cheap, but it doesn’t work that way either 🙂 This isn’t rocket science – we set the prices for our software because we think it is worth it. For some people any price is too high but the prices are set to reflect the value we think we offer and in the long run it’s just two grande lattes a month so WTF? 🙂

More seriously, there are actually some really tricky pricing issues and restrictions with suites – it’s not as easy as it seems since adding an app here causes a shift in pricing there and so on – it is all interconnected. I can’t actually explain all these issues here so you’ll just have to take my word for it.

If you want just Word/Excel/PowerPoint/OneNote plus Outlook 2007 and you are a home user, you could get the Home and Student suite ($149) plus standalone Outlook ($109), which I think would come to somewhat less than $250 after retailer discounting. Over a typical three year usage period that’s $7/month (hence the two lattes comment above). If you are a college student then it is likely you have a much better deal through your school – for many students and faculty all our products are free or close to it because your university has a deal. Even if not, you can get academic pricing on Office and OneNote which is quite a good deal.

Terri: yes, the Home and Student suite allows three installs for three machines regardless of users, but only for non-commercial use and it does not qualify you for upgrade pricing on future releases. Bear in mind that the other suites and standalones do allow two installs (on two machines) but for use by a single person (and they are licensed for business use and qualify for future upgrade pricing)

beta 2 is coming in late spring, and final release by the end of this year.

Stan: as I mentioned you could buy Outlook standalone – but you are right another option is to buy Office Standard (upgrade) and then OneNote. Probably that route is more $$$ though it does get you upgrade pricing for next time. As for integration with OpenOffice, OneNote does allow sending mail through any MAPI client (maybe that includes some email clients that people use with OpenOffice?). The OneNote Import printer driver works with any app that can print. There is also an import/export API for people to write powertoys. I think OpenOffice has a macro language of some type that might allow people to build integration.

Ralf: You might try using the "View/Keep window on top" option in OneNote. Shrink the OneNote window down and then leave it beside your browser – then drag/drop stuff into that window. I don’t know if Opera can have add-ins, but there are now add-ins for both IE and FireFox to send to OneNote…

15. cuekwe says:

OneNote is truly a killer app. and I’ve been a power user for some time. However, IMO, OneNote 2007 *MUST* include: "insert symbol keyboard shortcuts (and more symbol choices)," "setting to allow custom stationary as default for any new page (not just in current section)," "MORE COLOR CHOICES for note flag highlights, and GLOBAL update of note flag changes," "Support application of note flags to selected text (not just current paragraph)," "I would like full control over input panel positioning as allowed in V.1.0," "I routinely experience my cursor automatically jumping to either the top and bottom of sections – what’s up with that?," "Option for linked content to be visible where the link is placed." Bottom line: Great Job Microsoft on a beautiful tool!

16. Susan says:

Hi Chris,

Any idea on the pricing in £?

As a ‘mature’ student I am very disappointed in the lack of Outlook in the Student package.   I would rather have the same  programmes in the 2007 student and teacher version as the 2003 version and have Onenote available as a standalone  upgrade.   I assume Outlook Express in Vista is not a PIM like Outlook?

I need a PIM to keep track of student stuff, work stuff,  plus family/kids stuff but not necessarily one as ‘business’ orientated as Outlook.  How about a Student Outlook ?

Take a look at GoBinder 2006 beta, if the final version  manages to iron out the current beta issues I might end up choosing that over Onenote and Outlook.

17. Terri says:

Chris,

The best solution for students and teachers who want Outlook might be to purchase it separately at an academic price to supplement the Student package of Office 2007.  I notice that I can get Outlook 2003 as a standalone product with an academic price of $66.80 at one of the educational resellers.  I imagine that the new version of Outlook will also be available at an academic price when it comes out.  You can get nearly anything at an academic price from legitimate academic resellers.   I suppose the little known Professional Academic Edition with Access will no longer be produced.

Terri

aka terriblue on the Buzz

18. PigPog says:

Latest Update: Just noticed what’s missing from the cheap edition – see note further down…

Plenty of information has been flowing around the tech blogs about Office 12 for a while now, but Microsoft’s Marketing people have

19. Chris_Pratley says:

Susan, meet Terri; yes, the price for Student and Teacher 2003 plus academic (or non-academic) price of OneNote is about the same as Student and Home 2007 plus academic (or non-academic) priced Outlook – so I don’t think there’s all that much difference in the end. As for the MSRP in £ or € I’m afraid I don’t know. I do know that we try to keep the suggested prices about the same worldwide. But we don’t control the actual prices retailers charge – in the past I have heard that European prices can be quite a bit higher than we suggest, while US prices are usually lower than we suggest.

20. MikeW2 says:

If I were a member of the OneNote team, I would be very sad about the fact that OneNote (if you ignore the student edition) will only be in the most expensive "Enterprise" edition of Office.

It’s bad enough today with companies buying Std Ed and wondering why only Pro has full SharePoint support, but having no OneNote in even the Pro Edition of Office 2007 will take your numbers way down.

Companies who don’t need Groove aren’t going to buy Enterprise Edition and they are certainly not going to pay 100 dollars for each user to get OneNote. Those of us out there that want it but who are working for companies are going to have to jump through hoops to get it. Some of us will work for companies that ban everything but standard software and given this placing OneNote won’t be that.

For me it’s a sad day as far as OneNote is concerned. At least put it in the Pro Plus edition.

21. Chris_Pratley says:

MikeW2: it depends what our goal is. Our goal is not to "be used by a lot of people". Our goal is actually to maximize revenue. Usually those are correlated highly, but its important to realize that they are not the same goal.

If we were to put OneNote into every box of Office then we’d have to raise the price of each of those SKUs or we would be losing money (either because we’d be giving away OneNote or we’d be forcing an effective lowering of the price of the apps already in the box so that we could have a share). Of course we’d have more OneNote users (we assume) but Microsoft would not have additional revenue – and that’s what this is all about ultimately.

Raising the price of the SKUs is not a friendly option for customers since they may just want to renew what they have now and not be forced to take more software at a higher price no matter how great the additional thing is.

For us the best way to have OneNote in an Office box is to either replace a product already in one of the boxes at the same price (i.e. we get the share of revenue they had before) as we are doing in Student and Home or to appear in a new higher priced SKU where we get a share of the revenue without forcing a lower price on other products as with Enterprise. The worst would be to be thrown into a SKU without a price change.

Bear in mind that no company (and almost no individual) actually pays $99 for OneNote. That price is much lower in volume purchase. Most firms have access to incredible (temporary) deals for new products like OneNote to encourage adoption.

We also like Enterprise because another component in this story is that we have an internal challenge to get our sales force to be aware of OneNote and to sell it. The sales force sells the most expensive things it can because those people are compensated by how much revenue they generate (among other things). If OneNote were in all the SKUs or even in Pro Plus (the most commonly purchased SKU), the sales force would not be strongly incented to understand and sell OneNote because most customers would already own it (via Software Assurance). By being part of only Enterprise, the sales force is incented to understand and talk up both OneNote and Groove because they want to get customers to move up to this new highest level SKU.

So, although it may not be obvious, the current plan is actually best for the OneNote *business* even though it may not result in as many people using OneNote as another plan might.

22. sy says:

Hi,

I love OneNote!

My trial of OneNote 2003 expires on Feb 28, and I would like to continue using it … however if a buy a retail copy of OneNote 2003 now, will I have to repurchase when OneNote 2007 comes out? When is it coming out .. very very soon? (I don’t see it on Microsoft Office’s site yet) If it’s very soon and I would have to purchase twice, I would like to wait for the 2007 version …

Thanks for creating a great product!

23. Chris_Pratley says:

sy: Onenote 2007 is going to be available in the second half of the 2006, probably late fall.

24. Melissa says:

Chris,

For the pricing, how about removing Power Point and adding Outlook?  Mail and Calendar are a must for me personally.  Never got into Tasks, because it was too complex for my  needs.  Don’t see a purpose for Journaling for my personal needs.

I use OneNote, Outlook, and Word regularly.  I use Excel enough to want it available.   I have no home need for PowerPoint.  I especailly don’t see the need of powerpoint considering that I could, for the most part, accomplish the same thing with One Note Pages and subpages.

How about making PowerPoint the extra application to buy?

Melissa

25. Chris_Pratley says:

Melissa: This is a tough one because everyone will have a different opinion. PowerPoint is actually used a lot in schools, and this is the "Home and Student" edition after all. You could make an argument to remove Excel, but a lot of people do budget stuff in Excel and it’s actually got a lot of uses today that you would never guess ("fantasy football" is the top downloaded template for Excel…). Although every person can point to an app they never use, every application in the Office system is used by a significant segment of the population so there is no perfect set.

26. Scoop0901 says:

Susan:

I just looked at GoBinder.  It looks like an incredible ripoff of OneNote.  I wonder if MS will be going after GoBinder for infringement, as there are simply too many similarities in the product.

27. Some time ago when I announced that OneNote 12 was going to be called OneNote 2007, I mentioned…

28. chris says:

quand et ou sera disponible one note mobile pour pocket pc 2003, la version dans office 2007 n’accepte pas les fichier .caB

cordialement

29. Tom says:

Chris –

I’ve invested dozens of hours – maybe even hundreds of hours – in annotating text using OneNote 2003, but the annotations are all incorrectly aligned after conversion to OneNote 2007. Will the shipping version preserve this type of alignment, or will I need to stay with OneNote 2003 if I want to preserve my annotations?

(Specifically, here’s what I did: I pasted hundreds of pages of text into OneNote, then used ink to highlight and write margin notes. Upon conversion to OneNote 2007 format, the highlighting strokes don’t sit on the right text, and the margin notes are mostly misaligned and sometimes gone – perhaps moved off page.)

Thanks. This matters to me a lot.

Tom

30. Tom says:

I’m copying this comment to http://blogs.msdn.com/chris_pratley/archive/2006/02/02/523852.aspx, where it’ll be more relevant.

31. Some time ago when I announced that OneNote 12 was going to be called OneNote 2007, I mentioned that

32. The other day I got an email from an old high school friend, Rob who uses OneNote and reads this blog