I’m on Channel9

Hey, Owen Braun and I are on Channel9 – so you can see what we look and sound like in full motion video:  https://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=83471

BTW, the (excellent) on-line training video for OneNote I mention near the end of the Channel9 video is: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011423061033.aspx

1. tom says:

When is the next OneNote update coming out? We’re all still waiting for tables, and all the other cool things you’re sure to have added over the past year.

2. Dave says:

Great video. I have played with OneNote a few times, but never really got too deep into it. This makes me want to go back and start using it for real. It is also very cool to see the masters behind an application. Can’t wait to see your next one. 🙂

3. Leanne Owen-Keenan says:

Hi Chris, nice video. Whilst you were talking it triggered me looking at a feature that is in OneNote and brought to mind one that I would like.

I am using 1N often to take (or make) lists of figures, e.g. I produce a cat club magazine twice a year and needed to work out the pricing for it. Whilst I could use Excel I would normally just write all the info on a scrap of paper then add up the figures mentally or using a calculator. It would be really helpful if there was a basic calculation function (or maybe easy link to Calculator) to enable a column of figures to be added up.

Looking forward to the new version now that I’m am getting more 1N friendly.

4. Tradinoncoffee says:

Hi…I use onenote extensively…Awesome program…TY

5. Tom says:

I’m stumped. I keep running into the restriction of having to know how deep you want your outline to go before you get there. In other words, I often create a folder and enter data in it and its sections. The problem occurs when I want to create a sub-level below a section! I then need to create a folder with the same name, and then deal with deleting or moving the pages within the original section. This is driving me nuts! Should I just make everything a folder? Please give me a tip! Thanks!

6. Chris_Pratley says:

Tom, it sounds like you are trying to use OneNote as a strict hierarchical tree. You should think of it more like a set of named groups, and the "leaves" can have outlines. To use an analogy, it is like a filing cabinet, where you can name the drawers (folders), and you can have dividers in the drawer with sets of pages (sections). A page can have an outline on it, but I wouldn’t try to use folders as part of your outline. If I missed your point let me know.

7. Tom says:

Chris,

You definitely understand my question — what I’m asking is: how hard would it be to allow the user to go to nest things farther down with the code you have today? I get the notebook/sections/notes/subnotes analogy that it makes towards traditional notebooks, but sometimes you need to drill down deeper for organizational purposes. It just seems to me that OneNote has this artificial limit imposed on it to maintain its close relationship to a paper notebook.

8. Chris_Pratley says:

We decided to go with a design that the most people could relate to and feel comfortable with. There are other more "powerful" or clever interfaces we could have chosen that are less approachable, but then fewer people would want to use the product. We are constantly taking feedback though, and may offer other ways to view and organize your information depending on what we hear.