Windows Live Mesh on Windows 7

livemesh For those of you attending PDC and are experimenting with Windows 7, here’s an update you’ll need to apply to get Mesh working on your new OS.  Just create a REG file with the following information in it, and run it on your Windows 7 machine.

1:  Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
   3:  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Moe.MoeHost]
   4:  @="MoeHost Class"
   6:  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Moe.MoeHost\CurVer]
   7:  @="Moe.MoeHost.1"
   9:  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Moe.MoeHost.1]
  10:  @="MoeHost Class"
  12:  [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Moe.MoeHost.1\CLSID]
  13:  @="{27FFBBFB-4F8B-4a0a-ABBD-9DAE4CDB7F13}"

Of course, this comes without any warranty, express or implied, so use at your own risk.  This worked on my machine, but your mileage may vary.

Technorati Tags: ,,,,

1. Laser says:

You didnt seem to explain exactly what this does… although most people probably understand… I dont.

I seem to have mesh working just fine  on my windows seven PC, the only problem is that themes dont work right, is that what this fixes?

2. ChrisKoenig says:

When I tried to run Mesh on 64-bit Windows 7, it wouldn’t start.  By running this fix, it got me up and running.  Not a huge deal, unless you’re running 64-bit Windows 7 and trying to get Mesh going 🙂

3. Peter Himschoot says:

Do you happen to know if these settings will also work with Live Framework CTP with Mesh? I’m currently writing an article on Mesh and Live Framework CTP, and I’d like to migrate to W7…

4. ChrisKoenig says:

As far as I know, there is still an issue with the CTP running on Windows 7.  I’ll post something here when I learn more…

5. Glauco Roberto M. says:

Infelizmente não foi possivel abrir o Mesh no Win7 build 7000!

Esporo uma nova versão do programa compatível com o Win7

6. says:

Hi There

I am running the current public beta of Win 7 and Live Mesh, well trying to  but I am having problems.

It is reporting it is unable to connect and now I have applied the .reg, I am getting unable to resolve host.

Has there been any more updates on this ?

Do you know of any confirmed problems as I see the originial artical is now a little old.

7. alex says:

I have win7 7057 64bit, created and applied the .reg file, and still have this error: "Installer encountered errors. [80040154]". Any idea?

8. ChrisKoenig says:

I’m not sure how to answer your question.  At the time I made this post, it was for the version of Win7 that was released at PDC which required the REG file for Mesh to operate.  The current publicly available version of Win7 is the Beta (version 7000).  In the Beta, which I am running now, there are no issues with Live Mesh and the reg file is not needed.  I’m not sure where you got this copy of Windows 7, but my suggestion is to revert back to the 7000 version of Win 7 which works really well with Windows Live Mesh without this reg file.