With the launch of Microsoft unified communications products and services this week, we also published a case study about Dow Corning's early-adopter experience deploying Office Communication Server 2007 with Office Communicator 2007 to ther Engineered Elastomers Industry Americas group.
For those who don't know, our unified communications and Voice-Over-IP (VoIP) software includes:
- Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007 - VoIP, video, instant-messaging, conferencing, and presence within the applications you already know such as the Microsoft Office System, Dynamics ERP and CRM.
- Microsoft Office Communicator 2007 - Client software for phone, instant-messaging, and video communications. It works across your PC, mobile phone or web browser
- Microsoft Office LiveMeeting - Our hosted service for advanced conferencing
- Microsoft Roundtable - Our conferencing phone with a 360 degree camera that captures a panoramic view of the participants, tracks the speaker, and can record meetings
- Exchange Server 2007 with Service Pack 1 - The industry's leading email, voice mail, calendaring and unified messaging platform
Back to the Dow Corning case study...
With half of their employees spread across the country and the globe, Dow Corning needed a way to enhance their communication and collaboration capabilities beyond faxes, emails and telephone calls. I think the quote from Steve Waier, Technical Manager, Engineered Elastomers Industry Americas for Dow Corning says it best:
“With these advanced communications tools, we’re really talking about responsiveness,” says Waier. “I have a much better chance of winning business if I can immediately help a customer by taking advantage of Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007.”
If you have a moment, take a look at the case study.
Also interesting to this case study is their stated direction to integrate presence and instant-messaging into their SAP NetWeaver environment to provide a seamless experience for integrating people into SAP business processes. This is something I have posted on and advocated at different conferences throughout the year. Easily connecting people to business processes is a huge benefit when you have both Microsoft and SAP in your environment.
Thank you to Dow Corning for their willingness to share this great story!
Microsoft Chemical Team