CodeRush Xpress 9.2 Ships

The free CodeRush Xpress from DevExpress provides C# and VB developers with powerful extensions to Visual Studio. These features include editing and refactoring tools that make it easier for you to quickly produce well designed code. Version 9.2 of CodeRush Xpress, which shipped on August 25, 2009, has greatly improved memory and performance characteristics.

CodeRush Express comes with a set of selection, navigation and declaration features, as well as over 60 refactorings which are grouped into the following categories:

• Changing Signatures
  • Conditionals
  • Declaration and Initialization
  • Expressions
  • Lambda Expressions and Anonymous methods
  • Loops and Blocks
  • Properties and Fields
  • Moving/Extracting Methods
  • Resource Files and Strings
  • Types and Visibility

Figure 1: Dustin Campbell and Mark Miller discuss the cool features in CodeRush Xpress.

The new features in CodeRush Xpress 9.2 include:

• Faster Performance
  • Reduced Memory Consumption
  • Support for Preprocessor Directives
  • Background Processing Progress Bar

To learn more, watch the CodeRush Xpress 9.1 introductory video with Microsoft’s Dustin Campbell and CodeRush creator Mark Miller. You can also read an in-depth review of the new features in CodeRush Xpress 9.2 on Mark’s blog. A few months back, Dustin posted on some of the updated features in a May release of CodeRush Xpress, including

• Duplicate Line,
  • Highlight All References
  • Increase or Reduce Selection
  • Smart Clipboard
  • Generate from Using
  • Quick Navigation Window
  • Quick File Navigation

Many of the features in CodeRush Xpress are also explained in depth on the DevExpress web site. For instance, you can click here for an explanation of the navigation features. In Figure 2 you can see a screen shot from the video which highlights some of the features of CodeRush Xpress.

Figure 2: A screen shot from the CodeRush Xpress introductory video shows the Refactor menu and New Field Active tip window. Click the picture to see a larger version.

CodeRush Xpress provides lots of tools designed to make coding inside Visual Studio easier. Take a look and see if it can help you get more work done in less time.

kick it on

1. Rory Becker says:

I recently attempted to provide a comparison between Coderush and CodeRush Xpress here ->

2. Hi Charlie,

I enjoyed your LINQ series back then now I’m on your blog after a year 😀

What is your point of comparing it to R#?

I have no religious stand in either of them, I just want to master just one. Money are of course not a problem, couldn’t care less…

Which product is best to invest my time in?

Heard R# has better coding-habbits advices…

I don’t need HTML advices as I have a designer…

3. Kristian says:

It would be nice to see a comparison with ReSharper, which I’m using. To see whether it is worth switchin.

4. sarmaad says:

I have been using resharper for over a year now, and must say, i love it.

however, we are in the process of adding couple more temporary developers on board and I would love to see a comparison.

has anyone done any high level comparison?

5. lex says:

I love Resharper, too, but man…it can drag the IDE to its knees when you open a large solution. And the lag when you type a period while it tries to load up all the members of an object can be seriously annoying, too. I don’t understand why the lookup process takes so long for Resharper, but is instantaneous for the native IDE IntelliSense.

6. Heinz says:

I use both of them, I use CodeRush for most of the part and when everything is done before release I open Resharper. And let it do the Optimize thing.

7. Joe C says:

Is it really free?

Installation agreement sounds as tho it’ll expire after 30 days.

8. Jerry says:

I am a resharper user, I used to be C# developer, right now my current company wants to program in I found resharper doesn’t do a good job in code.

I’d like to see if coderush does it better than resharper in

9. Doug (BN1,UK) says:

Strange that a company would change from C# to more common the other way round.

I have found that Resharper is ‘essential’ whilst CodeRush/RefactorPro are ‘nice to haves’ but they dont play well with each other. You will end up having to disable one of the as you move around your project. This is not just a question of who takes hold of the hot keys, but of crashing or locking up Visual Studio. Getting FreeCodeRush is a natral move as there are other free products out there just as good so why pay. It would be nice if DevExpressed carved up territory between ReSharper and themselves avoiding the ‘me also’ development patten. For sure, it would be nice to have them install on your PC and not have VSTS crash.

10. Matt says:

I don’t know if it’s just me but it seems they’ve removed the "use string.format" refactoring from version 9.2.

I’ve yet to see any sort of changelog but because of this ommission I’ve gone back to 9.1.

11. Mark Miller says:

Hi Doug,

I think we’ve done a good job handling the challenges of getting CodeRush and ReSharper to play well together. If you want to use both CodeRush and ReSharper, make sure you have the latest versions of both products, Google/Bing for configuration tips (like this one, and post questions to the CodeRush forums or send email to

12. Jigga says:

I tried resharper and coderush and they both are totally unusable on large projects (tried them on Web Site Project with 50 dll projects).

If You work on huge projects forget about both of them. In fact VS almost dies too on so big solutions :/

13. Mark says:

When I installed CodeRush Xpress 9.2 all menu items and dropdown menus had double and triple entries.   For instance the first 8 entries left to right were "File File Edit Edit File File Edit Edit".   After deinstalling the duplicates were removed.

14. Mark Miller says:

Try the latest CodeRush version 9.2. It uses 100-300MB less memory than the 9.1 release, and significantly less memory than competing products on very large projects. Also, if you’re finding that VS almost dies on big solutions, it sounds like you may need more memory.

15. Mark Miller says:

Mark, regarding the duplicate menu item entries you noticed, this is the first I have heard of that issue. I encourage you to send details to and give them a chance to resolve the issue.

16. Scott D says:

I’d like to see a response to Joe C’s question:

"Is it really free?

Installation agreement sounds as tho it’ll expire after 30 days."

17. Mark Miller says:

Hi Joe,

Yes, CodeRush Xpress is really free and never expires. Are you reading the license agreement to an evaluation version of CodeRush by chance?

18. Glenn says:

I’m using ReSharper on a very large WPF centered project and only notice a small amount of lag now and then.

The product works as advertised and is almost an essential for TDD/DDD shops.

I highly recommend it.

19. Mark Miller says:

Matt, the DLL containing the String.Format refactoring was missing from the 9.2 install. We’ve fixed this and between now and the time we release 9.3, anyone missing this refactoring in 9.2 can contact to get a fix.

20. Mark Miller says:

Joe, more clarification on the EULA from the DevExpress universal installer, which includes this text that you may be referring to:

If the SOFTWARE COMPONENT PRODUCT(S) you have obtained is marked as a "TRIAL" or "EVALUATION," you may install one copy of the SOFTWARE COMPONENT PRODUCT(S) for testing purposes for a period of 30 calendar days from the date of installation ("Evaluation Period").

This text in the EULA does *not* apply to CodeRush Xpress since it is *not* marked as Trial or Evaluation software. So yes, CodeRush Xpress is free and never expires.

21. I have been using R# since it was released: Great product.  Looking forward to evaluating the latest version of CodeRush as well.

The most recent version doesn’t exhibit any noticeable memory consumption problems or lag if you disable ‘Show managed memory usage in status bar’… FWIW…

22. Kees van Sighem says:

Does code rush express work allongside of refactor pro?

23. Alex S says:

Yes, the CodeRush XPress does work alongside with the Refactor! Pro.

24. Mike O'Neill says:

Has anyone tried in in paralell to Visual Assist X (, I tried 9.1 and had a few problems of them not playing nicely together .

I’ll try 9.2 and see

25. Simplexhub says:

Thank you for this post. I will get our developers to get a go on this tool.

26. David Baldwin says:

Does this VS addin affect .sln or .csproj files? Would all the developers on my team need to install this if I did as far as checking in files in our source safe.

27. Mark Miller says:

CodeRush Xpress does not touch any source code file and has zero impact on version control, so developers on your team will not need to install it if you do.

28. Keld Sørensen says:

I tried to install CodeRush from the download and I get an error when trying:

Xpress-10.1.6.exe is not a valid Win32-program