CodeRush Xpress for C#

Developer Express and Microsoft have arranged a free copy of limited features from CodeRush and Refactor! Pro that is available for C# developers using Visual Studio 2008. You can read about the details here:

Here are some of the features included in this extensive and quite powerful package:

• Find any File or Symbol…
  • Tab to Next Reference
  • Expand/Shrink Selection
  • TDD-Style Intelligent Declaration Based on Usage
  • Professional Grade Refactorings
  • Editor Features
  • Navigation Features

kick it on DotNetKicks.com

1. You’ve been kicked (a good thing) – Trackback from DotNetKicks.com

2. kelvlam says:

This is awesome!  save a few $ for those who doesn’t want to pay for Resharper =D

3. Peter says:

This is new to me, will try it out. What do you use it mostly for?

4. echostorm says:

Outstanding.  I’ve been using the full version for years and can’t bear to code without it.  IMHO it makes Resharper pale in comparison.

5. graham says:

It seems like it will be very useful, but is there any documentation or settings for it? It would be nice to be able to turn off the Structural Highlighting, and how does the "Expand/Shrink Selection" work?

6. Pay for resharper!  You will be happier in the long run.  If you can’t…sure…use this.  Any tool of this nature is better than none.

7. Roy says:

Seems extraordinarily buggy.  Crashed my IDE a number of times doing fairly basic tasks.

Also seems quite slow – took a second or two or sitting at the beginning / end of a line before it would realize that it could do a refactoring.

Makes me wondering if this is beta or even alpha.

Anyone else having similar problems?

8. Steve says:

What does this do besides highlight blocks of code?  The Ctrl+~ does a bit of ref’ing, but other than that I’m stumped as to why this is even useful

9. Hírcsatorna says:

A nagy zaj mögött elveszhetnek az apróságok. Legalábbis az apróságnak

10. anthonyb says:

I have problems too. The IDE has become a RAM eater, projects that were loaded in 70-80 MB of ram, now they need about 300 (!).

Also, after working a little in the IDE with that thing loaded, it has crashed at the moment i tried to create a Console Application.

I removed it from my system immediately.

11. robertl says:

This thing is really buggy. Eats ram like mad and crashes constantly. I was actually looking forward to it. It’s a shame I had to remove it mere hours after installing it and tryin it on one of my smaller projects.

One of my biggest issues is I can’t find any way to change any settings. Are there even any? If I could just disable some of the things I don’t care about, I could probably use it…

12. Steven Oberholzer says:

Great idea. There were some good things in this software, but there were  a few bugs, which is why I uninstalled it:

1. Slowed down my IDE

2. Crashed my IDE quite a lot.

13. Roy says:

Anyone know who to contact for support or submit bug reports to?  The link above is just to the download, and there doesn’t seem to be any information about support on that page..

Would bug reports just go to Microsoft Connect?

14. Free Productivity Tools for Visual Studio

15. Welcome to the 47th Community Convergence. We had a very successful trip to PDC this year. In this post

16. Joker says:

Very nice tool, as soon as I get a copy of Windows 7, which supports up to 256 CPUs -propably the recommended CPUs to run CodeRush Xpress decently- I will reinstall it ASAP.

For now, I have removed it from my system.

17. Ian Jones says:

Same problem here.  Killed my IDE so will be uninstalling.

18. Sceptic says:

Everyone is uninstalling?

I Guess I shouldn’t touch it…

19. jmcfet says:

I have experienced the same issues as it crashes the IDE so i had to sadly deinstall

20. Rory Becker says:

Anyone who is having difficulty with this product should contact support@devexpress.com who are will be happy to help in any way they can. The more examples of crashes/bug reports that devexpress receive, the quicker these things can get resolved.

I use the full versions of RefactorPro and CodeRush and have had very few issues and almost no crashes in several years.

Please report these issues to Devexpress so that they can work on fixing them for you…

21. Mark Miller says:

Memory concerns: The RAM required is relatively proportional to the size of your project. So consuming 200-300 MB for a large project is normal.

Stumped/Docs: Go here for an overview http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vcsharp/dd218053.aspx. And bring up the help (it’s integrated into the VS help) to learn more.

Reports of crashing: We expect to release an update this week that includes fixes to issues reported since the release in October. BTW, make sure you’re reporting any issues you experience to support@devexpress.com. The entire team works very hard to create the best tools possible, and stability, performance, and memory efficiency are our highest priorities. Our turn-around time on bug fixes is very fast, so definitely let us know what you’re seeing.

22. Michael Bray says:

Yeah lots of crashes – I can’t tell you how many hours of work I’ve lost because I happen to change 5 files before saving…   and then boom!  crash and lost.  The thing that gets me is that I don’t even have to be using the tool’s features…  it seems to happen a lot when my editor tries to pull up some Intellisense, but it can happen randomly too.

23. king kikapu says:

"consuming 200-300 MB for a large project is normal" ?? Give me a break…

Unless you speak for projects like the VS itself…

24. Molden Molsen says:

I’ve been doing ok. The setup I changed a while back. Every type of interest I have is going swell.

25. Callon says:

I had some issues with crashing as well. However this has been addressed in the latest release v3.2.2 and I no longer have crashes or large memmory usage.

This is a great add-on to Visual Studio.

Thanks DevExpress

26. Dave says:

CodeRush Xpress continually crashed Visual Studio. It is all very well to say that we should report this and it will be fixed but I can’t afford to have VS crashing every 10 minutes until a fix comes out, even if it only takes a week.

27. KarenLiu_MS says:

Dave, Michael, Roy –

I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing instability with CodeRush Xpress.  A number of issues were addressed in the latest update v.3.3.2 – please try this version and see if it resolves your issues.  If you continue to run into issues (or have suggestions for ways we can make this offering better), please feel free to submit issues at support@devexpress.com or through Connect (these will be routed to the C# product team).

28. KarenLiu_MS says:

Dave, Michael, Roy –

29. Kevin says:

This add-in still seems to have some serious issues. I installed the newest version about a week and a half back and had nothing but problems. Opening a new file to edit? Crash… Switching between open files? Crash… Thinking about taking lunch? Crash…

If you’re having the IDE crash and seeing errors like this in the event log:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: .NET Runtime

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1023

Date: 12/29/2008

Time: 11:46:47 AM

User: N/A

Computer: DEVX

Description:

.NET Runtime version 2.0.50727.3053 – Fatal Execution Engine Error (7A2E0F92) (0)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

…I would recommend uninstalling CodeRush XPress as a first step in troubleshooting (even when I tried to simply disable the add-in it crashed the IDE).

30. Coco says:

There is a problem with Azerty Keyboards and the key ‘}’.

For your addin, a stroke on this key is interpreted like a stroke on the key ‘+’.

So, instead of displaying a ‘}’ the selection increases.

I didn’t realized how often this key was used. Actually, it’s really frequent 🙂

Funny, but really unpleasant.

It’s regretable but I can’t use this plugin in this state.

31. Mike says:

Where to download v3.3.2?  Has anyone used it?

32. SilentBob says:

I tried it and it made my visual studio amazingly sloooow so away it went. All I wanted was some structural highlighting, not a monster 😉

33. MiddleTommy says:

I am trying coderush express and find my IDE is much faster than with Resharper 4.5. Though I do miss realtime error checking and auto close curly brace

34. juanjo says:

in vs2008 when i open an xaml doc vs dissapears. i have uninstalled it and vs works fine. i agree it’s a really buggy product.

Skip to main content