Social bookmarking plays a big role in my online life. Sites like Delicious, DotNetKicks and Digg are places I often turn to for information or entertainment. These sites are important to me because I believe the community has a wisdom of its own that sometimes matches or exceeds the wisdom of the various experts we have been taught to rely on when we need to exercise taste or judgment. Certainly it is fascinating and frequently instructive to watch clusters of connections being drawn by people interacting in the virtual world we call the Internet. And sometimes its just interesting to see the crazy things that people find significant enough to bookmark.
Here are few posts recommended by the social bookmarking team that can help introduce you to the Microsoft vision for this technology:
- The Social v1 launch post.
- Custom feed queries (devs might be interested in using our feeds in mashups)
- FeedFlare (have you thought about putting your blog on FeedBurner?)
- Live Writer Plugin (I'd love it if all MSFT bloggers were using this on every post)
- IE8 Accelerators for bookmarking
They also point out that you can easily add bookmarking icons to your blogs, as shown at the end of this post:
- Stick this in your News section:
- And/or use the Live Writer plug-in. (See the set of "Share this post" links shown below.)