Video of Luke Hoban’s In-Depth Look at C# 3.0

Last fall in Barcelona, Spain two PM’s from the C# team gave talks on key parts of the new LINQ technology found in Visual Studio 2008:

Luke Hoban was the PM who drove the development of LINQ to Objects, and the man who created the now famous implementation of a ray tracer in a single, very long, LINQ query expression. He is now focusing his efforts on F#. By listening to his talk on C# 3.0 features you will get a chance to see a detailed and specific analysis of how LINQ works. Listening to him give this talk marked a turning point in my understanding of LINQ. For the first time I understood how the team folded extension methods and query expressions together to create the marvelously supple and deceptively simple syntax that we know as LINQ.

Barcelona01

Figure 1: Luke Hoban’s vision of the inner workings of LINQ to Objects gives developers significant insight into the beauty of C# 3.0.

Luca Bolognese is the Principal Program Manager Lead on the C# team. His talk on LINQ to SQL endows developers with the knowledge necessary to wield the tools that drive data driven application development under C# 3.0. A consummate speaker, Luca skillfully guides his audience through the elements that comprise LINQ to SQL development.

Here are the links you need to get started.

The Talks discussed in this post:

More talks from the TechEd Developers Event Link:

kick it on DotNetKicks.com

1. You’ve been kicked (a good thing) – Trackback from DotNetKicks.com

2. krunal says:

not able to view this video.

Microsoft Visual C# Under the Covers: An In-Depth Look at C# 3.0

i m getting silverlight errors.

thanks

krunal

3. marlongrech says:

I was at these 2 presentations at Teched Barcelona…. Wow they are GREAT!!!!!

4. Davud says:

Also unable to view this video as with comment #2.

David

5. Ash says:

Does anyone had problems with volume on these videos?

6. Guhan says:

Silverlight errors. Couldn’t watch the videos

7. Pk says:

Windows Internet Explorer

Silverlight error message

ErrorType: MediaError

Message: AG_E_NETWORK_ERROR

OK

8. ccalvert says:

I’m sorry folks were getting these errors. I was getting them yesterday also. It looks to me like these problems are fixed today.

– Charlie

9. David says:

Seems to be working fine now..

David.

10. Sowokie says:

no this is still not fixed… i get the same error!!

11. Mike says:

No matter how many time I install Silverlight, it says I still need to install it.  Why can’t Microsoft ever put out a product that works?

12. Yuriy says:

I installed Silverlight, and was able to see video.

13. Simon Hancock says:

I am guessing people having this network error are using a proxy server – I have the issue when using proxy, but not when I don’t.

14. Hello every one you have done a great job, keep up , feel joining you guys but i known how. make it easier for us to where we want be.

15. Hamed says:

Get the same error at 03/11/2008

Windows Internet Explorer

Silverlight error message

ErrorType: MediaError

Message: AG_E_NETWORK_ERROR

OK

16. msouga says:

03/12/08: I get the same error. I have a proxy. May be that is the cause, any work around?

17. JO says:

Why Silverlight? Why not windows media or any other exsiting format that we already have in our systems? Don’t  be forcing us to download Silverlight that we don’t want right now.

18. ccalvert says:

I’ll escalate this and see if I can find out more about why you are getting so many errors.

19. ben says:

FYI, on Vista the above videos did not play past ~5 seconds.  Works fine on XP.

20. Paul Mair says:

This video does not play under XP / IE6 but it does play on Vista / IE7.

21. Steve says:

Cannot view vid, says I need to install bloatware from ms…

22. John says:

I cannot watch it as it requires Silverlight, which is not an approved app on my Employer’s computers. I’ll try it at home sometimes.

23. John says:

24. Bill says:

Is anyone with VS 2008 and Silverlight v1.1 installed able to watch this video?  I get an error stating that an installation of Silverlight (v1.0) is required, but the two versions are mutually exclusive.  Would love to watch the video.  How about a standalone AVI/MPEG download??

25. Stephen Hill says:

I too cannot get this to work… perhaps you should try using Adobe Flash!

YouTube.com is a good alternative if you can’t figure out how to use flash.

26. borat says:

I am not able to watch this video neither in FireFox nor in IE, I am getting Silverlight 4001 error

Silverlight error message

ErrorType: MediaError

Message: AG_E_NETWORK_ERROR

I can’t even download it to my computer because there is no option for it.

27. Sergio Eduardo Antonio says:

re: Video of Luke Hoban’s In-Depth Look at C# 3.0

not able to view this video.

Microsoft Visual C# Under the Covers: An In-Depth Look at C# 3.0

i m getting silverlight errors.

thanks

Sergio Eduardo Antonio

28. otakuSiD says:

Maybe you convert this video to .avi and upload on rapidshare ?

29. Randy says:

Learn to use the right tools for the job, folks.

"Need" $ilverlight to view a one way video presentation?  That is false, you could stream this many ways that are more accessable to a wider audience.  $ilverlight adds nothing usable to a one way pre-recorded video.

What about your customers that are on DoD networks and need a near act of congress to install bloatware?  I guess you can take a day off and go home to do research occasionally …

30. Gary says:

Why silverlight?! My work PCs are locked down and I can’t go installing it, what’s up with not at least making a separate .wmv file available?

31. Adam says:

Couldn’t agree more!!

Please, please, please … make the videos available as .wmv as well!! [at least until Silverlight is embedded as part of the O/S]

You missed the boat on this one folks!!

32. Justin says:

Can’t view this due to Silverlight errors.  It just sits and does nothing, even after installing the latest Silverlight update.

Note to MSDN bloggers: don’t use Silverlight until it works.  Also, stay away from the colors orange and brown.

33. Welcome to the forty-first Community Convergence. The big news this week is that we have moved Future

34. Derek says:

I get an error when I try to view the video. (It is the "ErrorCode: 4001" that others are seeing.) I’m running IE8 (beta) on Windows Vista. Please post a link to a divx download or something more useful. Thanks!

-Derek

35. Disapointed says:

I have tried several times over the last few weeks and always the same result.  Silverlight errors.

36. Ali.H. says:

i have install silverlight.

when i use a computer which is behind NAT, i cant watch the video, but with a direct connection video is playing correctly, i dont know where is the problem. but if you provide a direct download link it will be great. although i think every body must install silverlight as soon as possible.

37. iddJoe says:

Getting the same error 4001 MediaError as everyone else seems to be getting.

38. Josh says:

Getting the same silverlight error as some other ppl described…

Windows Internet Explorer

Silverlight error message

ErrorType: MediaError

Message: AG_E_NETWORK_ERROR

39. My ISP limits my viewing of this video due to "fair access policies".  Is it possible to get a DVD copy to view?

40. My ISP limits my viewing of this video due to a "fair access policy".  Is there any way to get a DVD copy of the video?

41. Carlos says:

I can’t see this video. I got Silverlight player error. try to put it in another kind of player.

maybe you must use Adobe flash hehehe

once installed… it works WITHOUT problems

42. Ramblin' Wreck says:

Microsoft has made many things too complicated for the average software engineer. Do they think we are all experts on all of their technologies? Or want to be?

For example, Why not converge on one good language for the sreious developer that does everything we need to do, and stop creating so many variations of the same things? And make the documentation, support and training easier to obtain? I’m spending thousands of my own money on Microsoft training now. Not good.

The market will eventually dictate the demand, and Microsoft will either get the message or become lesser player. It’s already starting to happen with MacIntosh, Linux, etc., taking a bigger share and Vista bombing miserably.

It’s not about Microsoft anymore.. it’s about the software engineers and users.

43. David Harper says:

Hi Charlie,

I’m experiencing the same issues, using Vista and IE7.

Are you able to make these files available for download in .wmv format?

I would look like to see them.

44. Joe says:

Hmmm.

First post reporting error was Feb 25. Last post was 3 months later on may 31. Issue not addressed, video still on start page.

45. Robboz says:

Im watching it through Visual studio 2008 Pro on XP with SP3 installed and it works fine for me. Silverlight 1.0 I think, cant remember installing any later version.

46. Arun says:

Hi,

Can anyone send me link to download this video, now i m unable to find and get "Page not availble error".

47. Zolpidem. says:

Cheap zolpidem. Zolpidem fedex. Zolpidem dosing. Zolpidem overdose. Zolpidem zolpidem tartrate. Zolpidem. Zolpidem ambien.

48. Russ says:

This video is on my VS (2005) Start Page, but I cannot watch it due to a javascript error.

49. Olly says:

Just to say that on 25 July 08 I still can’t watch this. I think it’s quite funny how this comment thread has turned out (Ramblin’ Wreck’s post for example) simply because we can’t watch a video!

gotta love the internet…

50. Christian Programmer says:

I wish I had READ THIS Before I let them install SilverCrash on my friggin development machine

51. Generic lexapro. Lexapro 10 mg.

52. Euo says:

I’m still getting silverlight error.

Silverlight error message

ErrorType: MediaError

Message: AG_E_NETWORK_ERRO

How to get rid of this error?

53. naveen says:

I’m still getting silverlight error.

Silverlight error message

ErrorType: MediaError

Message: AG_E_NETWORK_ERRO

How to get rid of this error?

54. Mac says:

I’m still getting silverlight error.

Silverlight error message

ErrorType: MediaError

Message: AG_E_NETWORK_ERRO

I am also getting this one.

55. Mac says:

I’m still getting silverlight error.

Silverlight error message

ErrorType: MediaError

Message: AG_E_NETWORK_ERRO

I am also getting this one.

56. ccalvert says:

Mac,

Which version of Silverlight do you have installed?

– Charlie

57. Krunal says:

any download links of this video… still it gives some error. not able to view.

pls give links to download it.

heighly recommanded.

58. Dave says:

Bliksem tog!  How can it be that so many people complain about this for eight months and nothing gets done about it?

59. Dave says:

60. Paul says:

I don’t know what site it was on but when I first watched it silverlight was not necessary. Maybe considering the problems people are having, posting a version that does not require silverlight would be helpful. Personally I’ve been avoiding silverlight and would prefer not to install it.

61. Rudy says:

Still getting Siverlight error message:

ErrorType: DownloadError

Message: 0 An error has occurred.

62. Godfree Frogbottom says:

Trip the Light Fantastic,

Ode to the Queen of the Silver Screen

Tra La La

Tra La La

Heeeeeeeelp!!!!!

Howsaboutit, Calvie?  Gonna help us out,

or not?  I guess not….

63. Fork says:

we must install Siverlight, right?

64. John Soap says:

Same issues/errors as above.

Seems Silverlight is a crock o’ F shyte ?????????

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

65. jose cuervo says:

shiznit… c# is dead direction anyway. PHP baby.

66. John Soap says:

The dumb video is still not working. WTF?!

67. anonymous says:

I suggest to use flash video and post on youTube then embed.

68. John Shealy says:

I can not view your video because of the bug in Silverlight.  It seams that all of your videos are being published using Silverlight.  I do not understand why you would publish these under a technology that does not work?

email: jshealy@peoautomation.com

69. Faiz Mohammed says:

Getting silver light error, unable to view the video, i am not behind a proxy, its does not seems to be fixed

70. darBis says:

Well, I had to try myself, great software from MS. Excelent piece of crap. Got installed latest Silverlight package and getting same error like many people before me. Lightspeed bug solving the MS way …

Message from silverlight:

Silverlight error message

ErrorType: DownloadError

Message: 0 An error has occurred.

I’m not behind proxy, only behind NAT (who isn’t?). Browser Firefox3.0.5, IE7.0.5730.11, all with the same error message. Windows xp SP2 with latest patches, Czech language mutation.

Why the hell it takes you so long to upload watchable video?

MTFBWY

71. GoldFinger says:

Same Silverlight errors.  Then I realized.  Why do I want o watch something from someone who is part of the machine that is trying to force another standard(Silverlight) down my throat for no good reason. Do I really think he is going to give me a honest, objective overview.  I can almost quarantee he’ll focus on the good and gloss over the bad.

72. darBis says:

Oh, nice, my second post with details on the error which also had link to a problem description got deleted, very nice.

So if you are more interested in the problem, dear redaders, please go search the web. You will find that this bug is unfixed for whole year and nobody still done anything about it.

Another great experience, dear MS …

73. Mike54` says:

Message from webpage

Silverlight error message

ErrorType: DownloadError

Message: AG_E_NETWORK_ERROR

OK

74. quicklink says:

One full year of problems with this video, seems like the machine just wanted to release something new just for the newness of it.  I would like to watch both of these video’s but as there are in a broken format I am unable.  Maybe $ilverlight only works for the really special people…

75. kristian says:

And silverlight and still not working. Are there any solutions? Or anywhere else to see that video?

76. Ravi says:

I have Silverlight in my pc and using IE 7, but getting this error

——-

Silverlight error message

ErrorType: DownloadError

Message: 0 An error has occurred

———

I am not behind any proxy, and no link to download.

please tell me how to watch it

77. any solution to watch the video?…

78. Dan Olesen says:

I’m sorry to say that the problem still exists.

I’m getting the same silverlight errors as the other guys, and i’m getting a media failure when trying the WMV bottun on the alternative link: http://channel9.msdn.com/shows/Going+Deep/Luke-Hoban-Orcas-Compiling-LINQ-C-Futures-Intellisense/

Can you indicate some straightforward solution for a video gallery that is more solid – maybe downloading the videofiles to my PC and playing them outside the VS environment ? Where can i find the files ?