This video shows the basic steps required to create a LINQ to SQL video using Visual Studio 2008 Beta 1 (aka as Orcas Beta 1). You will be introduced to following concepts:
- Using the LINQ to SQL designer to map data in your database to classes in your program.
- Generating a DataContext used to connect to your database and access its tables and field
- Exploring the auto-generated ORM-style entity classes that wrap the tables in your database
- Writing LINQ to SQL code
- Instantiating an instance of the DataContext
- Writing a SQL Expression to query data
- Iterating over LINQ to SQL data with a foreach loop
- Using Anonymous Types to create a projection, or custom view, of data in a table
- Creating a LINQ style join between two tables that are linked by a foreign key
- Using the ObjectDumper class from Visual Studio 2008 (Orcas)
- Using Type Inference and the var keyword
There is nothing very fancy in this video, but it will provide you with an easy to follow introduction to LINQ to SQL.