I received this email yesterday:
3 month ago I have downloaded Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Version.
This free trial edition expired last week.
At the first of july I have bought DVD-ROM UPGRADE Microsoft Studio 2008 Standard Edition.
After trial period of Pro Edition I have run uninstall to remove the trial version from pc.
Then I attempted to install the upgrade Standard Edition Version.
But when I want to run it I still get the message form of the Professional Visual 2008 Edtion which blocade to further running Standard Edition.
What to do to remove registry professional edition key or cookie?
Thank You in advance.
Not certain how i bubbled to the top of the Visual Studio Standard Install help list in the Netherlands but I am guessing it had something to do with Brian Keller's Out of Office message.
I have to admit that is impressive; while hiking in Patagonia without Internet connectivity Brian still manages to create work for me!
I will have to do something nice for him too....Like find somebody to take his girlfriend out while he is gone<g>
In either case I had a similar problem not too long ago and very much sympathize with this person and didn't let my envy of Brian's month long vacation get in the way of trying to help!
Congratulations on your purchase of Visual Studio.
While I tend focus on Visual Studio Team System -I am guessing the problem and solution is going to be the same that i just recently had. My situation was one of the additional (22!) components installed by the trial version of Visual Studio 2008 was left in place –and when you attempt to run the Standard version this expired component is attempting to load -and causing the error. To resolve this you need to manually uninstall ALL these components before installing your upgrade.
Scott Gutherie has a post on his blog for ALL the components you need to remove before installing the non trial edition.
This blog post is below – note there are potentially 22 components you need to uninstall! If Scott’s blog doesn’t do it you might also try the Visual Studio Setup and Installation forum.
- Remove "MSDN Library for Visual Studio 2008 Beta"
- Remove "Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition 3.5"
- Remove "Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition 3.5 Design Tools"
- Remove "Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition 3.5 for Devices"
- Remove "Microsoft Visual Studio Performance Collection Tools"
- Remove "Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK R2 for Pocket PC"
- Remove "Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK R2 for Smartphone"
- Remove "Crystal Reports 2007"
- Remove "Visual Studio Asset System"
- Remove "Microsoft Visual Studio Web Authoring Component / Microsoft Web Designer Tools"
- Remove "Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for the 2007 Microsoft Office System Runtime"
- Remove "Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for the 2007 Microsoft Office System Runtime Language Pack" (non-English editions only)
- Remove "Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for Office Runtime 3.0"
- Remove "Microsoft Document Explorer"
- Remove "Microsoft Document Explorer 2005 Language Pack" (non-English editions only)
- Remove "Microsoft Device Emulator 3.0"
- Remove "Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 3.5"
- Remove "Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP1"
- Remove ".NET Framework 2.0 SDK"
- Remove "Microsoft Visual Studio Codename Orcas Remote Debugger"
- Remove "Microsoft Visual Studio 64bit Prerequisites Beta" (64-bit platforms only)
- Remove "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5"