September 28th we have a real treat, Compuware will be launching their latest Business requirements software: Optimal Trace product at the Queensland VSTS Usergroup!
No matter if your customers reside; in the same building, a different city or a country on the other side of the world.... Software is built to deliver business value.We all want the solution to meet business requirements, be delivered on time and in accordance with the agreed estimates.
Ensuring this outcome requires a clear definition of the business problem or opportunity and the communication of these requirements in a clear and concise manner.
"Poor Requirements" is consistently reported as being the single biggest cause of project failure - bigger than bad technology, schedule slippage or lack of funding. The effects are far reaching and touch the business, the customer, the software development team, and ultimately the bottom line.
- Requirements issues are the #1 cause of cancelled or over-budget projects.
- 42-64% of all defects originate during requirements.
- 25-40% of total project expenditures are attributable to rework from requirements defects.
- Fixing defects during the build phase costs 5-20 times more than catching them during requirements analysis
SEI Research Report, 2004
How do we achieve a clear definition of the business requirement and the communication of these requirements in a clear and concise manner to stakeholders, users and software development contractors as early as possible in the project lifecycle? What content and level of detail must business requirements artefacts contain to support reliable scope management to establish budget estimates? How mature must requirements be before the software developers are engaged? Who should perform the requirements specification?
Date: Time: Venue:
Friday, September 28th 2007
9:30am Discussion & Morning Tea
Microsoft Theatre, Level 9 Waterfront Place, 1 Eagle St, Brisbane
In this seminar we will:
- Discuss current requirements management trends and issues
- Overview best practice recommendations for capturing, developing and managing the right level of requirements for particular project types
- Look at methods for getting the business and technology communicating in a commonly understandable manner
- Getting useful requirements in the .net environment using OT requirements gathering and the interface to VSTS
- How requirements can flow into User and load testing
- Managing complex .net testing
- How to find performance problems in .net apps using load testing, code quality tools and post production monitoring tools such as .net analyser
- Reporting on .net applications in the live environment using Agentless and active methods
Speakers: Jeff Findlay and Sean Salisbury
Jeff Findlay Sean Salisbury
Senior Product Specialist, Compuware Corporation
Jeff Findlay has over 20 years' experience as an information technology professional. He specifically worked in the development of architectural software focusing on 3-D modelling. He joined Compuware eight years ago and has held a number of different positions in the areas of application development, software testing and development process improvement. Recently, he was appointed regional champion for Compuware's Requirements Management solution - Optimal Trace.
Senior Technical Specialist – Compuware
Sean Salisbury is a Regional Product Specialist for Compuware Asia-Pacific.Since joining Compuware Asia-Pacific nine years ago, Sean has held various pre-sales and technical roles working with Compuware’s development & testing solutions across the Asia Pacific region.