There are scenarios where we do not see the Report Builder visible while trying to
browse the Report Manager.
This can be on the same domain or from a different domain.
If we are accessing from a different domain, (Both the domains are trusted among
each other), everything looks good but only Report Builder is not visible.
Or some times Report Builder is only visible to the Administrators but not to others.
FOR A SPECIFIC USER–
– Logged onto the SQL Reporting Services machine as Admin and browsed to the
Reports Manager page
– Selected the properties tab and added the domain user that needed the access
– We gave the user Report Builder rights
– We then select Site Settings from the top and then selected “System level role
– We then created a new Role and assigned the task “Execute Report Definitions” (As
this is the only task required to display the Report Builder button for the
– After creating the rule we then went back to the site settings page and selected
“Configure site-wide security”
– We then added the domain user account that need access and assigned the group we
created in the last step.
FOR A GROUP OF USERS–
1. Add the non-Administrative users to the “System Users” group by following these
a. Open Report Manager as a user that is in the Local Administrators group on
the Reporting Services server.
b. You can open Report Manager
c. Click “Site Settings” in the upper right hand corner.
d. Click “Site Wide Security Settings” near the bottom of the page.
e. Click “New Role Assignment”
f. Type in “Users” in the “Group or User name” field if you would like to add
the local “Users” group.
This group includes “Authenticated Users” which means anyone authenticated on
the domain/local machine will be in this group.
Or if we are facing issues with users from other domain. You may specify any group
you would like for step f. This was just an
h. Check the box next to “System User”
i. Click “Ok”
ARTICLES TO BE REFERRED:
— http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159667.aspx [Role Assignments for
Report Builder Access]
— http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms403427.aspx [Updating Role-Based
Security for Report Builder Access]