Always wanted to build a game but thought it was too hard?
Having beautiful art assets gives your game a much more polished look and feel and makes the game more appealing to your players.
Sometimes you find a few royalty free assets you can re-use on various websites, but we decided to try and help you by providing some themed art assets you can use for your games. No strings attached!
The art pack contains character sprite sheets, special effects and objects you can use in your game.
Don’t forget Canadian developers who publish games to Windows or Windows Phone can earn cool rewards through Developer Movement until June 2014.
Characters include a fabulous collection of fourteen different zombies, a few of which are shown below
There is also a sheriff who can help you defeat the zombies with an assortment of weapons!
Add a few weapons and obstacles to make the game more interesting
How about some special effects for blowing up the zombies such as a puff of smoke or a pile of dust or maybe just the classic stars dancing around the head.
You should also download the background assets collection to find a suitable backdrop art for your game as well.
You can find more art asset packs at http://wootstudio.ca/win8platstarter
Now you have the assets, how do you build your game?
You might want to check out
- Tower Game Starter Kit from WootStudio
- Platformer game starter kit from wootstudio.ca
- HTML5 Pong Game template at GoDevMental
- Porting Unity Games to Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone at Microsoft Virtual Academy
- Introduction to C++ and DirectX Game Development Jump Start at Microsoft Virtual Academy
- Gaming Engines for Windows 8 Jump Start at Microsoft Virtual Academy
- Building Apps for Windows Phone 8 Jump Start at Microsoft Virtual Academy
- How to create your first XNA game for Windows Phone at dev.windowsphone.com
- Games for Windows Phone at dev.windowsphone.com
- Getting Started Guide for Windows Phone developers
- Getting Started Guide for Windows 8 developers
If you build something cool, tell us about it!
Are you a student?
If you are a student, you don’t have to settle for the Express version of Visual Studio to develop your game! Use the same tools as the professionals by downloading your copy of Visual Studio Professional at DreamSpark! You can download Visual Studio Professional, the Windows Phone SDK, and the Windows 8 SDK all for free! DreamSpark is the student one stop shop for software!