All enterprise and no games makes Jack (or Jill) a dull developer, and lucky for you, we’ve got a brand new game dev tutorial over at App Hub. It’s your chance to build a nifty little game called Shooter from start to finish and learn the XNA game development framework (which targets Windows, Xbox 360 and Windows Phone) and game programming techniques along the way!
You can download the Shooter project and take it apart to see how it works, and you can also follow along with the tutorial and videos, which are broken into three parts:
- Getting started. In this section, you’ll learn about the design of the game you’re going to build and take the first steps by creating a player object and responding to user input.
- Getting in deep. The next steps will be to:
- Animate the player object
- Draw the background
- Add enemies
- Incorporate collision detection
- Shootin’ and blowin’ stuff up!
- Getting it done. And finally, it’s time for polish: sounds, a user interface and menuing system to complete the game.