What if you could build Office and SharePoint solutions using standard web technologies and distribute them worldwide from the Office Store (currently in beta) on Office.com? With Office 2013 and SharePoint 2013, you can.
The all new cloud app extensibility model for Office and SharePoint 2013 enables building a whole new class of productivity solutions for Office and SharePoint. On top of that, the new Office Store on Office.com provides the venue for these apps to be delivered to millions of Office and Office 365 SharePoint Online users worldwide.
Here’s what you need in terms of preparation:
- Bring your own developer environment on your laptop or have access to this environment for website development/ deployment.
- Visual Studio 2012 Pro or above and the Office Developer Tools (Note: You can download VS 2012 Pro as a free trial. For those that don’t typically use VS, there are some parts of the workshop that rely on VS since tooling for some of the packaging is not yet available for other platforms. If your laptop OS does not support a Visual Studio 2012 install, we’ll have a workaround for you). More on the tools here.
- Sign up for the free Office 365 Developer Site preview here.
- Install Office 2013 desktop clients from your developer site.
- Sign up for a Windows Azure free trial here and learn about Windows Azure Web Sites.
You can also visit dev.office.com and read up on apps for Office and SharePoint.