What is AzureFest?
- AzureFest is an event where you’ll see how quick and easy it is to develop and deploy cloud applications with Windows Azure.
- We’ll show you how to set up an Azure account and then take a traditional ASP.NET application and turn it into an Azure application.
- AzureFest is run by ObjectSharp with the assistance of Microsoft Canada. ObjectSharp is a Toronto-based company that specializes in building software for customers and training developers (and they‘ve helped us a great deal with TechDays!). ObjectSharp is a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner. They’re also very personable, very funny people.
- AzureFest happens this Saturday, December 11th at Microsoft Canada’s Mississauga office (1950 Meadowvale, off Mississauga Road, just north of Highway 401), and there are two sessions:
- Morning session: 9:00 a.m. to noon
- Afternoon session: 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Azurefest is FREE! Just visit the AzureFest page for registration details.
What Will You Learn?
- How to set up your Azure account
- How to take a traditional ASP.NET application that would typically live in an on-premises server or at a hosting service and deploy it to the Azure cloud
- How to publish applications to the Azure Developer Portal
- How to set up the Azure SDK and Azure Tools for Visual Studio on your laptop
- How to use AppFabric
What Will We Provide?
- The tools you’ll need to install on your machine to prepare yourself for Azure
- Hands-on instruction and expert assistance
- Post-event technical resources so you can continue learning afterwards and take your skills to the next level
- Power and network access
- Snacks and refreshments
What Do You Need to Bring?
- Your own laptop, which should be capable of running Microsoft’s developer tools (A machine with a decent processor and RAM running at least Windows Vista, or preferably, Windows 7)
- A credit card – the event is free, but activating an Azure account requires a credit card, even if you’re setting up for a trial period.
- Some experience building ASP.NET applications and services
What’s This About a Bonus for My User Group?
- For each Azure account activation by a member of a Microsoft/.NET user group at AzureFest, we’ll donate $25.00 for that person’s user group. So invite all your friends from your user group to come to AzureFest and give your user group some extra funding! (When you register for AzureFest, the registration page will ask them which user group they belong to, so we’ll know how much to give each user group.)
This article also appears in Global Nerdy.