Les has worked in a small business environment all his life. He especially enjoys Small Business Server for the positive impact it has in enabling small business to do more with less. Les was first awarded SBS MVP in 2002, and is a 2006 Impact Award Finalist – Community Leadership Award – for his work with Special Olympics Canada Games and SBS.
Les is active in MS public SBS newsgroups, and in mentoring IT firms in his local business community so they may better serve small businesses.
1. What does being an MVP mean to you?
Family. The SBS MVP community is a close group of dedicated individuals with a world wide perspective. We’re in daily contact with each other, and consider the MS SBS Dev, Marketing, Support, and Sustained Engineering as part of the family. The family creates an environment in which we can offer the larger SBS community a high level of peer support and feedback to the product group.
2. If you could ask Steve Ballmer one question about Microsoft, what would it be?
Mr. Ballmer, could we please bundle MS Office with SBS CALs. 🙂 Pretty please. 🙂
3. What do you think the best software ever written was?
Lotus Improv Release 2 (1993).
4. If you were the manager of Small Business Server, what would you change?
I’d try and find a way to directly reach more end customers; SBS is still the biggest secret in the world of small businesses.
5. What are the best features/improvements of SBS?
Without a doubt – Remote Web Workplace.
6. What was the last book you read?
I don’t think I’ve read a book in over 20 years, perhaps longer. Does National Geographic count? I read that, cover to cover, and have done since the early 80’s. 🙂
7. What music CD do you recommend?
I enjoy strong vocal performers, any genre. Pavarotti, Domingo, Carreras, Streisand, Dion, Fitzgerald. Satellite radio makes it easy.
8. What makes you a great MVP?
All MVPs are equal. 🙂
9. What is in your computer bag?
Acer Ferrari 1000, passport, USB key with recovery tools, StorageCraft Recovery CD, Granite Digital USB to SATA/IDE bridge, pocket size 4-port switch, spare keys for my truck.
10. What is the best thing that has happened since you have become an MVP?
I got a new boat last year. 🙂
11. What is your motto?
Empower your people.
12. Who is your hero?
13. What does success mean to you?
Success is the freedom to develop your talents, and use them to help those that need help.