I’m back in Ottawa and I wanted to provide some more more information on XNA Game studio express. A lot of questions were asked during the conference about how the XBox 360 development of games for the retail unit would work. Here’s the answer:
- You need to be logged in to Xbox Live and have an active subscription to the XNA Creators Club ($99 per year)
- You need to download the XNA Framework runtime environment for the Xbox 360
- You need a separate development PC, and you must have XNA Game Studio Express installed on your development PC
- You need to download the game project, including all source and content assets.
- You need to compile and deploy the game to your Xbox 360.
- And now you can play your new game.
P.S. as an XBox 360 game develooper you can’t sell these games either… the games you develop using XNA Game Studio Express are are for non-commercial usage only.
You can also find lots of good information from the following links:
XNA Dev Center on MSDN: http://msdn.microsoft.com/directx/xna/
Blog from Mitch Walker, PM on XNA framework: http://blogs.msdn.com/mitchw/
Blog from Michael Klucher, PM on XNA frameork: http://blogs.msdn.com/mklucher/
Blog of the XNA team: http://blogs.msdn.com/xna/
I will post also post 2 podcasts I did with Mitch Walker from Microsoft and Josh Williams from Garage Games very soon.