Fortunately, many publishers have great relationships with the user group community and have established programs through which you can receive promotional copies of books and other items to use as giveaways or for book review programs.
Here’s a list to get you started:
- O’Reilly User Group & Professional Association Program
- Wrox User Group Program
- Pearson Education User Group Program (Addison-Wesley, Sams, Que, etc.)
- APress User Group Program
- Manning Publications User Group Program
- Peachpit User Group Partners
(Know of any others? Please comment below or contact me. Thanks!)
It’s a symbiotic relationship – you get stuff to help the group, and they get visibility in your community. Be certain to take advantage of the opportunity.