Last year I have been pretty busy with many MOSS projects, so I will start again with SharePoint Technologies 🙂
As I usually create VPC, I end up with different customer demo machines. Today I wanted to use one of them, but I thought if it was possible to change domain name/computer name in order to map other customer name.
My environment was a Single Server install (DC+Standalone server:Windows R2 2003 Server) of MOSS 2007 with english+spanish language pack.
The steps I followed were:
- Raise the functional level of the DC and forest to Windows 2003: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322692/
- Download the Windows server 2003 Active Directory Domain Rename Tools http://www.microsoft.com/technet/downloads/winsrvr/domainrename.mspx
- Read the doc 😉
- install de rename tools, and use rendom with each step in the help.
- /list /upload /prepare /execute
- after execute the server rebooted and IIS started crashing.
- /end (in order to do the unfreezing) and IIS worked again
- Then run gpfixup (as part of the rename tools)
Finally, I wanted to change the computer name. So I used netdom tool http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/460e3705-9e5d-4f9b-a139-44341090cfd41033.mspx?mfr=true
- netdom computername /add
- netdom computername /makeprimary
- netdom computername /remove
As the server had DNS Service, a change in the configure entries was necessary too (including a FQDN that resolves to the server).
After this changes, I needed to change:
- Execute stsadm -o renameserver option
- review services on the server and SSP properties
- check site collection admin
- In the User Profile and Properties->View Import Connections Section in SSP, delete the existing and create a new one (default values).
- MySite default uri
- Alternate access mapping
If you somehow run /clean before doing the gpfixup, you can use the GPMC http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/gpmc/default.mspx to fix the problem.
Delete the link pointing to the old domain and create a new one (Linked Group Policy Objects)
[I tried the other steps in a VPC, and didn't work, so I tried the dcgpofix tool too and reboot with this in mind]