I just realized I have not posted anything here over the last couple of months which is definitely not a good thing to keep a blog alive… It’s been a busy period, I’ve been working on the Italian Developer Support Blog with my colleague Raffaele, of course working with our customers on Support Cases, working on a few internal organizational changes (still in progress) and I’ve also been working on a tool to automatically collect logs and information about IIS, ASP.NET and the server itself we’ll (hopefully ) use in our everyday work when troubleshooting customer’s problems.
One of the toughest problems I worked on in this period was actually on my machine… for some reason I could no longer use Silverlight on my office desktop, every time Internet Explorer proposed to install the component but either the setup failed with an error indicating that Silverlight was already installed on my machine (which it really was!) or some other error that inevitably lead to an aborted setup. This seemed to be a machine-wide setting (not just my account) because I got the same problem no matter which account I used to log-on to my machine.
If you quickly need to get your Silverlight working you can do as I did: use the “Reset Internet Explorer Settings” button in the “Advanced” tab to restore some IE settings to their default RTM state; this will not delete your personal data (cookies, forms, InPrivate filters, accelerators etc…) unless you explicitly flag the “Delete personal settings” checkbox:
Anyway I am curios and I managed to collect some data before and after the reset to compare and get the differences and identify which setting is causing the problem (of course I’ll post it when ready), I just wanted to save you and headache in case you have this same issue.
Quote of the day:
In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes. - Benjamin Franklin