UML Profiles and Visual Studio 2010: Part Two

Ok, so I was just sitting down, getting ready to write a nice long post about how to create your own UML Profiles when I discovered just how great the MSDN documentation is on this very subject. So instead of trying to recreate that work, please check out the docs found here. Kudos to our tech writing team, ‘cause they have definitely done it again on this one! 🙂

The MSDN Library articles go into great depth on the VSIX mechanism used for the profiles, discusses the schema behind the UML Profile XML that we’re expecting, etc.

As I discussed in this post, VS 2010 will ship with a few profiles right out of the box. If you’d like to check out what those profiles look like under the hood, they are buried deep in the Visual Studio installed directory. Find those profiles here: %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE\Extensions\Microsoft\Team Architecture\UmlProfiles.

Cheers,

Cameron

1. Oleg Sych says:

Does VSIX-based deployment of UML Profiles work in Beta 2? I could not get my custom profile to register and had to resort to placing it in the UmlProfiles directory and manually editing the extension.vsixmanifest there.

Thanks,

Oleg

2. Lawrence says:

As someone who isn't that familiar with VS2010, can I take an existing UML Profile – of which there are many freely available for download on the net – and install that in VS2010? Or does it apply only to those I have created in VS2010 first?

The documentation you link to isn't clear at all on this point.

3. camerons says:

Only if that profile was created with VS2010 Ultimate.

4. Lawrence says:

Thanks.

Do you know if there are plans to address that deficiency? After all, UML is a standard, and UML profiles are part of that standard. I am able to share profiles between other UML tools, regardless of the tool they were created in.

5. stevecook says:

Actually VS2010 makes a reasonable try at importing simple profiles from other tools serialized as XMI.  It doesn't handle all of the corner cases, but will do the basics.  Profile interoperability between UML tools in general using XMI is still somewhat problematical – the OMG is working on improving this situation and I hope we'll be able to catch up with the newer XMI formats in due course.

6. Lawrence says:

Thanks Steve.

I had a go at creating a profile from scratch in VS2010 and that was pretty straightforward. But converting our entire SOA Profile would take a lot of editing. I will have another go with various XMI formats.