Australian firearm deaths down 50 pc

To all my friends who love to tell me how “guns don’t kill people“… A new report quoted in The Australian shows that in the last ten years, deaths from firearms have dropped in Australia by 50%. That’s amazing. This stat particularly jumped out at me: The rate of female homicide victims dropped almost 70 per cent, from 0.44 per 100,000 to 0.14 per 100,000. Note it doesn’t say that the women are getting killed by a DIFFERENT weapon, now that there are less guns on the street. It says there are LESS DEAD WOMEN. Gee – go figure.

1. America says:

Keep your political opinions to yourself. We don’t really care that you’re a communist gun control jerk.

2. What a lovely and constructive comment from "America". I hope that comment was meant as a joke. If not, then perhaps the same "America" would love to tell us what the use for guns like a civilian type M-16 assault rifle is in a "normal" american home?

Nice post though Cameron.

3. Dennis says:

There have also been stories about violence going up in England since they passed their latest firearms restrictions. If someone posted a link to one of those stories on weblogs.asp.net, would that offtopic post be acceptable to you?

4. Ever since Michael Moore’s docudrama ‘Bowling for Columbine’, I take all these stats with a grain of salt. He really skewed the facts pretty hard and put bad blood into what was otherwise a decent piece.

The thing I find funny about the gun arguments if the assault weapon ban. Many US policy makers want to ban assault weapons like M16 and AK47 – but what will that solve. Something like 95% of gun deaths come from a handgun!

I personally like Chris Rocks idea, we should tax bullets. Bullets should cost 5000 dollars. That way, when you go to kill somebody you have got to seriously think if they are worth it 🙂

5. Dennis says:

At that price, I’ve shot millions of dollars worth of bullets….Never killed or wounded anyone, but I’ve put a lot of expensive holes in paper.

I’d hate to be an innocent bystander in a country that taxed bullets 🙂

6. Paul Glavich says:

Anything against guns is fine by me Cameron. There may be quenstionable stats on both sides about restriction of guns and its effectiveness on violence, but I think its a damn good place to start.

I can’t believe assault weapons were allowed i n the first place. Doesn’t matter whether it would solve the major problem, its just a no brainer.

7. Jeff says:

Look, we all have our opinions and this post isn’t going to change any minds. It was wrong to post this article, and it was just as wrong to "take the bait".

In order to preserve the usefulness of this site, we should refrain from making these types of comments, but when they are made the site admins need to slap the perpetrator’s wrist and delete the offending text.

So, please knock off the politics and start talking technology. Until then — subscription deleted.

(On review, that sounds a lot harsher than I meant it to be –

ChangeTone( Tones.Respectful ); )

8. John says:

Thank you for the worthwhile post. You contributed important details to an important debate. Subscription added! Nobody’s going to learn anything with fingers in their ears, or hands over their mouths. America is out of its mind on this issue.

9. Scott says:

Gun control starts at home.