The real reason to get a tablet PC – TextTwist!

My wife recently needed a new laptop, so we splurged and got her a TabletPC.  At first, I have to admit I was somewhat underwhelmed – it was a convertible model, and I noticed that she was always using it in laptop mode, not tablet mode.  However, we recently found the app that justifies the platform:

Text Twist!

This is a word game on the MSN gaming zone site, similar to the word jumble puzzles in the newspaper.  It’s a timed challenge, and you have to come up with a large number of words based on the jumble of six letters.  Let me tell you, it is so much faster and easier to play this game with a pen, rather than a mouse; and don’t even get me started on trying to play with a laptop mousepad!  I can never get all the words with the mousepad, but often get them all with the pen.  We use the machine in tablet mode all the time, now.

I bet there are some lessons that other apps could learn from TextTwist, about how to make a tablet-friendly application.

1. Anonymous says:

Um, did you know you can use the keyboard to enter the letters? I’m fairly certain that will prove to be faster than any pointing device for you. 🙂 (That probably wasn’t your point though.) Watch out. My girl friend and I spent quite a few evenings playing that game and wasted 3 or 4 hours a night at it. You’ll know you’ve gone too far when "EMU" is a new private joke between the two of you.

2. Anonymous says:

Yeah, I lost too many hours to that game until I went cold turkey. I found that the dictionary the game uses is fairly small and it’s get’s very repetitive once you learn all the common 3 and 4 letter words. The keyboard is by far the fastest input device for it (letters, tab, space, esc, enter). Uh-oh… did somebody say KEYBOARD? Argh, I’ve cracked… KEY BOD RAD BOY BOARD OAR BORE ORE ODE ABODE BODE ROAD RODE YORE DOE ROE DAY RAY BAY BOA AYE ADOBE YOB… Ding! Help me!!

3. Anonymous says:

My husband has a tablet pc (or notebook.. i dont pay attention ..lol) and it does all kinds of neat things. Him and our daughter write captions for their bedtime stories on it at night..

she can draw pics and then my husband emails them to grandma and grandpa in canada.. and they print them out in color… pretty darn cool. 🙂

4. Anonymous says:

Yeah, I lost too many hours to that game until I went cold turkey.

5. Anonymous says:

6. Anonymous says:

hook this up to a tv so it’s on a big screen and play with a big group of friends with people yelling out trying to compete with each otehr lol

the other great tablet game is ‘dots’ where you make lines to join dots and score points.

7. Anonymous says:

Playin TextTwist with the keyboard is only faster IF you can touchtype. My dad still can’t remember where any of the keys are, so playing it using the pen on our new TabletPC is much more fun for him (since it’s easier)!