Cancer still sucks

I’ve spent the last week over at my cousin Ben’s house.  His pancreatic cancer has entered a new (and terminal) phase.  It has been great to see the outpouring of support from his friends and family, but that doesn’t really make up for the pain of seeing him wasting away, and knowing that he will soon be gone.  A few months ago when we first found out about his cancer (and thought that he still had five years), some friends set up a web site for him:  Check it out if you’d like to see some pictures of a man who loved life, and is leaving it too early.

1. brady gaster says:

yes, it does indeed suck. it runs in my family. it took my mom two years ago.

i know it sounds terrible, but i just have no idea what to say. i know there is nothing to say. i will say – and promise – to keep you and your friend and his family in my prayers.

just remember that there’s a better place, and Ben will be there, waiting for all of us to arrive, where we’ll skydive with him each and every day, with no fears or sadness.

2. Frans Bouma says:

Bruce, I feel your pain: my wife’s father (59) has entered the terminal phase of his stomach cancer 2 months ago… Only the morphine is keeping him up, but it’s misery in full effect. All the best (if I translate that correctly from Dutch to English)

3. M Kenyon says:

I lost a cousin of mine, who I was very close to, last summer to cancer. A comforting thought: Acts 24:15.

I believe I will start reading your e-mail. Nice to meet you.

4. Jonathan Roberts says:

Yes, it does. I work with it everyday and it took my mother(ovary FWIW) in front of my eyes 3 years ago. It always hurts, my sympathy to you all.

5. Wim says:

Sorry to hear about your cousin Bruce. Lost family due to this disease as well.

There’s a good column that’s been running on the BBC news site for 2 years now by someone diagnosed by a brain tumour. It’s very inspirational and worth reading:

God bless,

6. Doug Reilly says:

I am with you on cancer. I lost a father, a brother and a niece to a particular kind of cancer (a rare, hereditary disease – Familial Adenomatous Polyposis), and I and my children struggle with it to this day (I am a 6 year liver cancer survivor).

So, I understand a little of what your family is going through, and you will be in my thoughts and prayers.

7. AJ says:

Hey Bruce – Sorry to hear about your cousin. We recently found out that my father (51 yrs old) has Stage IIIb lung cancer (never smoked in his life). Last week he started having memory loss and seizures. This is the most difficult thing any of us has been through, but at the same I’ve become a lot closer to my father and family. The best thing we can do is just take it a day at a time, keep busy, and stay positive. And we play lots of Scrabble every night. Best wishes.