Wincing the Night Away (Tips for SSRS in SharePoint Mode)

Here is some useful information about using SSRS in SharePoint Integrated mode (included with SP2):

Installing the SharePoint Add-In

• If you plan to upgrade from a previous version of the add-in, you should uninstall the previous add-in then install the new one. After installing the new one, you will need to perform the RS configuration steps in SharePoint Central Administration again.

• If you have trouble with the install, take a look at the log files. In addition to the MSI install log, the Add-In also creates another log file named RS_SP_<number>.log. Both logs are found in the “<Drive>:\Documents and Settings\<User_Name>\Local Settings\Temp” folder.

• There is a known issue with the naming ReportServer.<culture>.resx files that are install as part of CTP3 in each SharePoint web sites’ App_GlobalResources folder. After installing CTP3 this issue manifests itself as the following errors when you try to access any SharePoint web site:

Server Error in ‘/’ Application.
Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed.

To solve this, check the following in IIS Manager for each SharePoint web site:

• Explore into <Web site>\App_GlobalResources

• Do you see any Reportserver.<culture>.resx files (where culture is a string like EN / FR/ CS etc.)?

• If yes, then delete all Reportserver.<culture>.resx except for ReportServer.resx file.

Deploying Reports to Report Server that is in SharePoint Mode

• Use the updated Report Designer that ships with SQL 2005 SP2 CTP.

• Deployment paths need to change for deploying to a SharePoint Document Library with settings something like this:

TargetDataSourceFolder: http://<MyServer>/<mySharePointsite>/<my_DataSource_Folder>/
TargetReportFolder:   http://<MyServer>/<mySharePointsite>/<my_Report_Folder>/
TargetServerURL: http://<MyServer>/<mySharePointsite>/

• If you see a login screen when deploying reports, inspect the web.config fle of the SharePoint web site for the following entry:

<location path=”_vti_bin/ReportServer/ReportServiceAuthentication.asmx”>
    <system.web>
      <authorization>
        <allow users=”*” />
      </authorization>
    </system.web>
  </location>

Make sure there is only one such entry in the web.config file. Delete any duplicates. Next retry deploying. This is a known issue in the CTP release that we are fixing for RTM.

1. Brian Welcker does it again! In this post he describes a situation that’s been causing me a great deal

2. If iam not wrong the same login problem existed in SSRS 2000.Solution was to apply the SPack for 2000.In 2005 Web Config I have the following enteries nothing else.Need your suggestion on this.What do I need to do

<location path="_layouts/images">

<authorization>

<allow users="*" />

</authorization>

</system.web>

</location>

3. Larry Chambers says:

Ok…I am back…..I tried to install the release version of the SharePointRS.MSI on my server. The first time I installed, I received the error outlined above. I then followed the setups outlined above…but with no luck. I then uninstalled and all is fine.  I did notice that the account I had installed under was not part of hte SharePoint Farm Administrators group and Site Collection Administrators. I rectified that, and did the reinstall…..and ended up with the same issue. Again I followed the procedures outlined above…but to no avail….i am now in the prcocess of uninstalling again and keeping my fingers crossed……any insight as to what I may be doing wrong?

By the way….the logs (RS_SP_#.LOG) look clean…..

4. bwelcker says:

Larry, once you uninstall the add-in, you need to make sure there are no remnants of SSRS in the SharePoint sites, either in the web.config or the resx files. After that, things should work.

5. I have installed the SharePointRS.MSI on my server after much effort.Login problem still persists when i try to deploy the report.

When iam trying to open the default settings link,it is giving error.

Need ur urgent Advice on the Same.

6. kl@presidio.com.au says:

Hi,

I have setup SSRS in integration mode.

I added a report viewer webpart and get the following message when trying to access a report.

"An error has occurred during report processing.

This data source is configured to use Windows integrated security. Windows integrated security is either disabled for this report server or your report server is using Trusted Account mode."

Now i think that this is because I setup the Reporting Services part in "trusted mode".  However when i go to change it to Windows Authentication in WSS3.0 administration it fails and I get and error when going to the "set server defaults" screen.

I can access this report from the report server itself (another server).  The SSRS is using a domain account and i have set the SPN for it as well.

When i click on the actuall report stored in a document library in WSS i get the following error

Any ideas?

Kelvin

7. Andy Goodwin says:

We’ve been getting the same arror:

<i>"The specified path refers to a SharePoint zone that is not supported. The default zone path must be used. —> The specified path refers to a SharePoint zone that is not supported. The default zone path must be used. "</i> during various activities.

What is this and how can it be fixed??

8. bwelcker says:

9. bwelcker says:

If you have configured Reporting Services to work in Windows Authentication in WSS3.0 administration and it fails when going to the set server defaults" page, you are probably trying to  run RS on a machine separate from SharePoint. In this case, you would need to setup Kerberos or try setting up IIS (for RS web service) to use NTLM (refer to article 871179 for this) to get this scenario working. Otherwise, you will have to use Trusted Mode.

10. nathan says:

regarding your comments "Reporting Services only supports access from SharePoint URLs in the default zone in this release. If you have setup multiple zones via SharePoint’s "Alternate Access Mappings", then make sure you access the RS reports using the default zone."

Could you please elaborate ? I have a site which is setup as say http://servername:2323 as the default zone and http://abc.com as the internet access site .I have published the reports to the default zone but when I run it from the internet site it gives the default zone error any recommendations ?

11. Sam says:

I’ve tried a million different things, but the ‘Set Server Defaults’ link continues to frustrate me. – I’m running WSS and RS on the same box, if that is relavent

The RS and SharePoint services are running under a domain account which is in the sysadmin role on the SQL Server.

In ‘Manage Integration Settings’ I’ve put in the URL of the reportserver, and told it we’re using Windows Security

In ‘Grant Database Access’ Ive pointed it to the (local) SQL Server

In ‘Set Database Defaults’ I click the link, it hangs for a couple of minutes, then comes back with:

" An unexpected error occurred while connecting to the report server. Verify that the report server is available and configured for SharePoint integrated mode. –> Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. –> An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host  "

I really don’t get this transport connection error. Can anyone tell me who is trying to connect to what at this point? Seems strange that I’m not getting a security message, but rather a transport-level error

12. Nathan says:

Hi Brian,

Thanks for a great blog.  I have a custom app that uses the SSRS web service to deploy reports programmatically.  We’re converting over to MOSS and SharePoint mode and I’m trying to figure out what API to use to programmatically deploy reports and datasources to SharePoint.  Any tips?

Thanks!

13. Franck says:

Hi Brian,

I’ve installed and configured the Add-in successfully (at least that’s what the RS Config Mgr tells me), add the RS content types to a reports lib in a MOSS site but when I try to create a data source (via new/report data source), I always got "An unexpected error occurred while connecting to the report server. Verify that the report server is available and configured for SharePoint integrated mode."!

I uploaded a .rdl file and I got the exact same error when trying to view, manage DS, manage Subs,… on this report.

Opening the http://myserver:8001/reportserver seems OK except that I don’t see the .rdl file I just uploaded.

I’m running RS and MOSS WFE on one box and the DB on another box. I’m using the same domain account for the RS service and the ReportServer app pool (which apparently has been granted access to DB since I don’t get any error from the RS Config Mgr neither from the SCA/Gant DB Access).

I’m desperately trying to work out this issue for hours now.

Any idea?

Thanks

-Franck

14. cvallandingham says:

I am troubleshooting an issue with integrated Reporting Services that seems to be related to the AAM.  Here’s my layout (simplified)

DNS >> NLB >> Web1 or Web2

In the AAM when the Public URL for Zone is the DNS name Reporting Services calls fail with connection closed errors (see below).  If I use one of the Web front end servers for the Public URL everything works as expected.

I am unsure how the Public URL is affecting the calls to Reporting Services.  Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

An unexpected error occurred while connecting to the report server.

–> The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.

–> An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

The underlying connection was closed: A connection that was expected to be kept alive was closed by the server.

An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

15. ian says:

Sam,

Are you still having issues with seting up sharepoint integration for reporting services?  I was having the same issue as you.  I had installed CTP 1 of the RS Addin.  Grab the latest release, this will resolve your issue.

16. Minimia says:

Thanks for your help there Ian – that got it sorted!

17. Vincent says:

Reporting Services only supports access from SharePoint URLs in

the default zone in this release. If you have setup multiple zones

via SharePoint’s "Alternate Access Mappings", then make sure you

access the RS reports using the default zone.

Hmm, using "Alternate Access Mappings" in Sharepoint Services is a common requirement, that most of us use it right now. How come Reporting Services (Sharepoint Integration mode) unable to display reports in alternate URL (other than default zone)? Aarghh, frustrating.. I don’t have any idea how to deploy this feature to my current sharepoint.

18. J.C. Novoa says:

Reporting Services Login dialog appears when deploying to MOSS/WSS:

My config file has only one entry for authentication, yet the prompt still shows-up, tried loging in as the administrator and nothing. Running SQL 2005 SP2… any ideas?

19. bwelcker says:

Are you deploying from Report Designer? If you are deploying to MOSS/WSS, you should not get an RS login. In fact, the report server doesn’t know anything about publishing to the WSS front end. However, if you are using forms authentication, you might get prompted for credentials in Report Designer.

20. bbc says:

Thanks for the information. I’m having a wierd issue where when I try to deploy a report to a wss 3.0 site (a sub site) I get a file not found error. When I look in the IIS log I found that the depoly is trying to access the file reportservice2005.asmx on the wss server instead of the ssrs server. Any ideas why this would happen? In visual studio I have the target site, folder and data source location all set to the sharepoint site, document library and proper folders.

The entry in the IIS log file is "/sitedirectory/dev/rs/ReportService2005.asmx" where rs is a sub site of dev. Thanks for any help you can think of.

Brett

21. Gunady says:

Is there any solution yet to deploy Reporting Services (sharepoint integrated mode) on the alternate mappings of WSS Site? I need it badly for my current sharepoint configuration.

22. jcnovoa says:

Yes, I am using Forms Authentication, and there is really not a easy way to get this to work when also using Windows authentication in another Sharepot top level site which uses windows authentication.

Both top level sites are sharing the same reporting services integration piece, one of them uses Windows Authentication, and works successfully, the other top level site uses Forms Authentication and we get the "object" moved due to the fact that is redirecting the users to log-in

23. KoHwee says:

Hi,

I have setup SSRS in integration mode.

I’m running RS on a machine separate from my SharePoint site. I’ve setup WSS3.0 administration to run in Windows Authentication.

I encountered two problems:

1) On the WSS server machine, when i click on the report stored in a document library in WSS, the report is able to run and display properly. Hoewever, when i try it on a separate machine I get the following error:

The RS Web service is running on a domain user account which is also the WSS farm service account.

I’ve tried setting up IIS on both WSS and RS machines to use NTLM without avail.

2) While deploying the reports using Report Designer from the RS machine to the Sharepoint site (on separate machine) i got the following error:

===================================

A connection could not be made to the report server http://kkbepmapp01/. (Microsoft Report Designer)

===================================

Server was unable to process request. —> The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized. (System.Web.Services)

24. theju says:

Hi:

I have a sharepoint site running online.

1. Sharepoint site in one machine say A.
    2. Database in one achine say B

I have deployed the ssrs .rdl files in the user site and when I run them within the machine A or VPN connected they run just fine.

But When I access from http://abc.com, I get page cannot be displayed.

Kindly Help me.

Theju

25. Praveen says:

If you are getting default zone error then you have to look into the resolution here

praveenbattula.blogspot.com/…/customize-reportviewerwebpart-in-c-and.html