Team Foundation Server 2012.2 (aka Update 2) now available

Today we released the second update for TFS 2012 (TFS, TFS Express). You will find a detailed list of features in this blog post. You need to install the one that matches your installation – full or express. You do not need to uninstall TFS 2012 RTM or TFS 2012 Update 1. Installing TFS 2012.2 will take care of uninstalling your previous TFS 2012 installation and then installing the new version. You also do not need to detach collections or anything else special. As always, you should make a backup of your server prior to upgrade (you do make and test backups regularly, right?).

In this update, we preserve most of the configuration settings. This was a common complaint in the first update. We have a few more settings to preserve, most notably build machine settings, that we will address in the third update.

The one feature I want to highlight is the compatibility with TFS 2010 build agents/controllers. I mentioned this in a previous post. This is one of those features that’s incredibly valuable but isn’t obvious – you have to know about it.

This update process is completely new for the 2012 product cycle, and we learned a lot from our mistakes with the first update. Of course, our testing was even more thorough for this release.

The biggest change we made was getting more users trying early releases of it. We did this because we realized that some of the issues we had to patch for the first update were due just to the fact that customers exercise the product in different ways, and the combinations are nearly infinite. In a regular major version cycle, we have at least one public “go live” release that is crucial to flushing out bugs. We made CTP3 “go live” for our MVPs. We made CTP4 “go live” for everyone. That helped immensely. Every issue that was reported to us we investigated and fixed.

Enjoy!

Follow me on Twitter at https://twitter.com/tfsbuck

1. Test says:

is it possible to migrate TPC on CU1 to RTM version ?

Do we have any document descript this situation ?

2. buckh says:

I'm not sure I quite understand. If by CU1 you mean Update 1, yes, you can upgrade to Update 2. If not, what do you mean by CU1?

3. Dan C. says:

With a configuration of TFS Express and SQL Express I have been unable to find a way to perform database maintenance. I recently ran a TF destroy but learned afterwards that the database maintenance plan/SQL Server Agent usually handles the clean up of the data. Is there a manual way to perform this maintenance with this setup? I cannot seem to find documentation on it.

4. buckh says:

Dan, it should get cleaned up overnight when the TFS job runs to delete unreferenced content. What destroy actually does is remove the references to the content to allow the content to be removed by the job that runs every 24 hours.

5. Dan C says:

Buck,

Thank you for your fast response. I apologize if this is the wrong medium, but I was in the neighborhood and had the question fresh in my mind.

Unfortunately SQL Server 2012 Express cannot execute those jobs due to having no SQL Server Agent. Feature Limitations table of SQL Express: msdn.microsoft.com/…/cc645993(v=SQL.110).aspx

Example screenshot of SQL Standard: tutorial.visualstudioteamsystem.com/…/sqlserveragentjobs.jpg

Screenshot of my SQL Express installation: http://i.imgur.com/MxUHRTT.jpg

Thank you again for your consideration,

Dan

6. buckh says:

Dan, the TFS cleanup job will run – it's the same for SQL Express as for full SQL. If you want to kick it off now, you can run tf destroy /startcleanup

7. Is it possible to be able to add a sprint goal?  As far as I can see, we can only set the dates for a sprint, I'd like to see a short piece of text on the kanban board for the team to see what the goal for the sprint.  e.g. "Provide the capability for customers to track their orders.".

This seems more logical than relying on the sum of PBI's in the sprint to tell the story of what the team is working on.

8. Gregg Boer says:

@Paul.Deen, unfortunately it is not possible to do this. If we were to do this, we'd likely add it as part of the Sprint planning experience for the team. It is on our backlog. If you want to submit this idea on user voice, please feel free to do so: visualstudio.uservoice.com