TFS and VS 2012 Update 1 now available

[Update 2/1/13] A fix for the issues is now available.

[Update 1/14/13] See this post for the latest on issues with attaching a collection.

As announced on Soma’s blog, Update 1 for Visual Studio and Team Foundation Server 2012 is now available. Over at the ALM blog, you can find more details on what’s new. For those using the Team Foundation Service at tfs.visualstudio.com, you are already familiar with the new features, as we update the service every three weeks.

In addition to fixing bugs that were discovered after RTM, here are the new Features in Team Foundation Server in Visual Studio 2012 Update 1, which I’ve copied here from the ALM blog.

Note: The Version control warehouse still has a 260 character limit and you need to have this update applied to both your Team Foundation Server and Visual Studio client.

Build

One caveat I want to mention is with upgrading your build computers. After you install TFS Update 1 on your build computers to update them, you will need to go through the configuration again, including choosing the collection, setting the service account, etc. If you have settings you want to preserve, be sure to look them up in the TFS Administration Console on your build computer and write them down for use after you upgrade your build computer. We hope to have this fixed for Update 2.

Power Tools

The Team Foundation Server Power Tools will be updated for Update 1 as well. There were significant changes to the APIs in the server DLLs (not the web services – the .NET assemblies), so tools like the backup/restore tool for the server had to be updated. The update 2012 power tools should be available later this week, barring any last-minute issues.

Server Installation

I’ve seen some questions about how to install Team Foundation Server 2012 Update 1. Because it is a server and we need to do things like modify the database as part of the installation, we designed TFS 2012 to use the regular installer to install the updates. You do not need to uninstall anything. Just run the installer, and it will take care of updating your TFS. After the installer completes, it launches the upgrade wizard.

So, when you go to http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/downloads you’ll see two choices for TFS 2012, Install Now and Download Now.

image

• Install Now will use the web installer and will download what is needed in order to install TFS 2012 Update 1
  • Download Now will download an entire layout, which you can use to install on a machine that doesn’t have internet access or if you need to update more than one and want to avoid the downloads by the web installer.

After you run either one and the installation phase is complete, you will see the upgrade wizard.

image

You then must confirm that you have a backup.

image

Then select your database by setting the SQL Server Instance if the default isn’t correct and then using List Available Databases to see a list of all of the configuration DBs (usually there is just one).

image

At that point it becomes just a matter of clicking the Next button a few times, watching the upgrade run (okay, only for a small DB – you may want to grab a bite to eat while it runs for a bigger DB), and you’re done!

image

image

image

Note: If you had a browser open with the web UI for TFS 2012, you may get something garbled after the upgrade if you click on a link that doesn’t do a page refresh. The reason is that it’s a mix of the old and new web code. Just click Refresh in your browser to fix that.

After clicking a link after upgrade (browser was open with the TFS web interface prior to upgrade):

image

After clicking Refresh in the browser:

image

Enjoy!

Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/tfsbuck

1. Terry Young says:

Can TFS 2012 Update 1 be used to upgrade an earlier version of TFS or must the initial release version of TFS 2012 be used first?

2. buckh says:

Great question. You can use TFS Update 1 to upgrade from the same set of starting points as the RTM version of TFS 2012 (i.e., upgrade from 2010, 2008).

3. Thomas says:

Is it right that some of the Features do not work on update? Example: Source Control – the new compare and new Color coding are not there (of source). KanBan boad is not there with the agile template.

4. Todd says:

Silly clarification, but we can use this edition with Sharepoint Foundation correct?

5. buckh says:

Thomas, we held off on enabling the new viewer/diff for Update 1. We plan to have in Update 2. I checked with the PM for the Kanban board, and Agile template should work. If it's not working for you, please contact me.

Todd, yes you can. This may help: blog.hinshelwood.com/integrate-sharepoint-2013-with-team-foundation-server-2012.

6. Thomas Tomiczek says:

Ah, ok – no complain here, i was just checking functionality based on the blog post ;) Looking forward to the new renderers. Re canban board-  I just do only see hours in the different states, but no maximum item count at all.

7. buckh says:

Thomas, thanks for the feedback. We'll be making more improvements in Kanban.

8. Mark Slaven says:

I have a situation where my SQL server is remote and WMI ports are blocked.  During my originall install of TFS I was able to skip Reporting Service in the wizard and configure later in the TFS admin console.  During the upgrade wizard, I had to skip upgrading reporting services.  Now when I go to the TFS admin console and select reporting, it is not configured. When I try to edit and use the existing DBs, I get a warning that "The database you specified cannot be used. The database exists, but its schema is not valid for use with Team Foundation Server."  What can I do to continue to use these DBs given that I am unable to open WMI ports?  Also, any chance we can get that requirement pulled out of the product?  What is the value anyway?

9. Hi Mark – Unlike in the clean install scenario, we actually do no support upgrading reporting from the admin console.  Many of our upgrades change the database schema such that old reports will no longer work.  However, there is a workaround for this, which basically just entails renaming the database.  See the following blog post for a walkthrough:  blogs.msdn.com/…/when-trying-to-enable-reporting-after-upgrading-my-server-i-get-a-schema-warning.aspx

Hope this helps!

10. Mark Slaven says:

Buck, it does help but it still blows.  I mean you can't restrict WMI to a single port or small range, right?  I just don't get why the wizard forces me to have WMI open for this and won't let me manually put in the information.  Now I gotta migrate the reports.  Regardless, thanks for the original post and your helpful response to my question.

11. buckh says:

Understood and thanks for the feedback. We'll add this to the list of improvements to make.

12. Joshka says:

Is there a checksum for the files anywhere?

This prevents download / copying errors from ruining the ISO.

13. buckh says:

Joshka, there is but it's only in the MSDN subscriber download. I'll ask folks to add that to the VS download page.

14. Mario Measor says:

Can you still use Visual Studio 2012 without Update 1 applied, or should we force everyone to update to VS Update 1?

15. buckh says:

Mario, yes, you can still use VS 2012 RTM with a server that has Update 1 installed (and VS 2012 Update 1 will work just fine with TFS 2012 RTM or TF Service).

16. How do you upgrade the process template of an existing team project from Scrum 2.0 to 2.1?

17. Mario Measor says:

We just noticed our reports won't run anymore, and we think it might have something to do with update 1. To be honest, I am not sure if the reports ever ran, but can someone help with this? I have never worked with reporting services before.

An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)

Query execution failed for dataset 'dsVelocity'. (rsErrorExecutingCommand)

Query (8, 3) The '[Microsoft_VSTS_Scheduling_Effort]' member was not found in the cube when the string, [Measures].[Microsoft_VSTS_Scheduling_Effort], was parsed. Query (3, 2) The '[Microsoft_VSTS_Scheduling_Effort]' member was not found in the cube when the string, [Measures].[Microsoft_VSTS_Scheduling_Effort], was parsed.

18. Matt Wrock says:

Hi Mario, it sounds to me like your report definitions are out dated since there is no [Microsoft_VSTS_Scheduling_Effort] column in the reporting schema. The best way to address this issue is to modify the report by replacing it with an up to date report. I suggest taking the following steps to accomplish this:

1. In Report Manager (by default this is http://<servername>/Reports), navigate to the folder for the project with the erroneous report and delete the entire project report folder. Note: this will delete any custom reports as well. However, since you mention that you are not sure if your reports have ever run, it is likely you never created custom reports.

2. Create a new project with the same project type of the project that you deleted the reports for.

3. Go back to the ReportManager and navigate to the report folder of the new project. Select "Folder Settings" and rename it to the project folder that you previously deleted.

4. You may now delete the project you just created. The reporting folder will remain.

Matt