Visual Studio 2010 Licensing Whitepaper is now available

I’ve posted before about TFS licensing, and the official whitepaper was finally released last week.  The document covers Team Foundation Server as well as all of Visual Studio.

Visual Studio 2010 Licensing Whitepaper

1. Hi,

Regarding Build Servers; there is no mention of whether or not they need an OS license? Are they considered part of the MSDN subscription (as in "used for the purposes of design, development, test and demonstration") or are they considered production environments?

2. buckh says:

Anders, they are considered part of the production environment, as is the case with the TFS server.

3. MarcT says:

Any update on upgrade pricing from VS Std? We’ve got 10 users and the difference between $3K (Std * 10) and $8K (Pro) will make or break our upgrade plans this year.

4. buckh says:

Marc, I don’t have any info on that yet.  It may not be available until launch (or close to launch).

5. Randyo says:

Why does VS Test Professional only have a Professional MSDN license?   This will make it illegal for testing a majority of our projects since they use servers that are not included with the Pro version of MSDN (SharePoint, Commerce Server, and Biztalk).  We have licensed all of our devs with VS Ultimate and would like to roll out Test Pro to all of our testers to replace another tool.  Some of our more advanced testers also have VS Ultimate licenses, but the vast majority of our testers do not write any code.

6. Eric says:

We’ve found it very disappointing that there have been all these provisions to get people to upgrade thier MSDN subscription level, but nothing to reimburse people who have been paying for software assurance on their separate TFS server license and who now don’t need it anymore and won’t benefit from the software assurance portion of their TFS server license – since it’s now included in our MSDN subscriptions that we are already paying for.  We’ve essentially been paying for nothing since we won’t get any benefit from the SA portion and have gotten nothing but blank stares from Microsoft licensing support and the company we purchase licenses through.  Very disappointing.

7. buckh says:

Randy, here’s what I’ve gotten back on your question.

Q: Why does Visual Studio Test Professional 2010 with MSDN contain the same level development/test-use software as VS Pro with MSDN?

A: Visual Studio Test Professional 2010 with MSDN provides testers the right to develop and test on Windows, Windows Server, and SQL Server. While we understand that some customers may need access to other Microsoft products for testing, the SKU was designed to accommodate the price sensitivity we had learned from our customers. To include a more comprehensive software offering with Test Professional, the SKU’s price would need to be higher due to the subscription’s additional value.

Q: How can my testers gain access to other software needed for their projects?

A: You can purchase Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate with MSDN to get a comprehensive software offering for your testers. You can buy VS Ultimate with MSDN:

a. This is the only other MSDN subscription which includes Test Professional functionality.

b. Testers can perform load tests and performance tests.

c. This is the simplest option with the highest level of benefits.

d. Take advantage of the Ultimate Offer, you can buy VSTS Test Edition with MSDN Premium now, and you will get VS Ultimate with MSDN on April 12.

8. RandyO says:

Thanks for the response, Buck.  While I agree with the desire to keep the number of versions to a minimum, please consider creating a Test Enterprise edition.  This would be right in line with how VS is currently targeted (Pro vs Ent).  Having to purchase Ultimate, even with the current offer, is one I probably can’t justify to my CIO for non-coding testers.  And once the offer is over, I definitely won’t be able to justify it for new test hires.

9. Fernando says:

I have a question about TFS & SQL Licensing, that hasn't been asked after read the entirely whitepaper…

I want to deploy TFS 2010 in a two-tiers configuration. One tier for TFS and other for SQL Server 2008.

But I don't want to use the SQL Server that comes with TFS. I want to use the a corporative SQL Server that is currently running… This SQL Server is licensed per User.

My question is… Does TFS CALs give SQL Server CALs when not using the SQL Server that comes with TFS? Do I need adittional SQL Srver CAL for every TFS CAL in this scenario?

Thanks in Avance!

10. buckh says:

Fernando, I asked the licensing folks, and here's what they said.

No SQL Server CALs are required when using SQL Server Standard in support of TFS.  When you run any version other than SQL Server Standard, you need to license SQL Server
    separately—either by buying the proc license or both the server license and CALs for each connection.

I hope this helps.