Team System Web Access for TFS 2005 FAQ

I wanted to highlight the TSWA for TFS 2005 FAQ since it contains good information, including how to switch between Windows authentication and forms authentication, turning off forms authentication, and how to construct the URL to a work item using the work item’s ID.

Visual Studio Team System Web Access FAQ

• Q: Can I install Team System Web Access on an existing Web site?
  • Q: Which Web site port should I use for Team System Web Access Web site?
  • Q: How can I activate the log file?
  • Q: What’s the difference between Forms-based authentication and Integrated Windows authentication modes?
  • Q: How can I switch between Forms-based authentication and Integrated Windows authentication modes?
    • To enable Forms based authentication:
    • To enable Integrated Windows authentication:
  • Q: How can I enable sending work items as e-mail messages?
  • Q: What’s the URL to use if I want to send the link of a specific work item?
  • Q: How can I disable signing out and logging in as a different user (i.e., disable forms authentication)?
  • Q: How can I customize the bug form?
  • Q: Can I use Team System Web Access with Team Foundation Server in workgroup (non-domain) mode?
  • Q: Can I use Team System Web Access with single server / dual server Team Foundation Server configurations?

1. Dylan says:

As far as i can tell, the work items still have the issue where if you create a link directly to one, you must already have team System Web Access open or the link doesn’t work. I was told some months ago that this is being worked on. Is it still in the works?

2. buckh says:

Dylan, does that happen if you use the following URL?

Q: What’s the URL to use if I want to send the link of a specific work item?

A: Work item links use the follwing format:

For example, http://myserver:8090/wi.aspx?id=123

Buck

3. The Teams WIT Tools Blog on Rosario – Customizing Link Types Primer. Naren on New custom controls posted…

4. Buck Hodges says:

5. Grant Holliday asked for an explanation of how a Web Access URL should be constructed to for a file in

6. George Duke says:

I have added new fields to wit however they do not show up on the web access forms. Changes to the existing fields show.

7. George Duke says:

iisreset resolved the issue.

8. buckh says:

I checked with Hakan, and he says this is a WIT caching issue.  You can force a refresh by clicking the menu item "Settings > Refresh Cache."

Buck

9. Just came across this on Neno Loje’s Blog which is sooooooo cool. My customers I going to love being

10. Mahesh Dhinge says:

Hello:

I got an issue while installing the add-on tool in the local system. Do I need to install this add-on tool (Team System Web Access) on TFS server?

Please let me know in case if any settings are required.

11. buckh says:

Mahesh, you need to install Team Explorer prior to installing TSWA on whatever machine you choose.

If you install TSWA on the TF server, Windows integrated auth will work.  Otherwise, you have to use forms-based auth.

Buck

12. Bhavin Barot says:

I can access the specific work item from the URL as mentioned above.

But What’s the URL to use if I want to open the specific folder in TFS web access?

By default if I open http://servername:8090/UI/Pages/Scc/Explorer.aspx  ,  i am redirected to root folder.

I want to be redirected to a specific folder.

13. buckh says:

Bhavin, I'm not sure if there is one.  I detailed all that I knew about with TSWA 2008 in the following post.  I'll ask if there's one that does what you ask.

blogs.msdn.com/…/team-system-web-access-2008-power-tool-is-now-available.aspx

Buck

14. buckh says:

Bhavin, it should work if you add the path to it #path=%24%2FTest – in that example, Test is the name of the folder and the $ and / are encoded.

Buck