Team Foundation Power Tools version 1.2 (aka TFS Power Toys)

We are happy to announce the release of  version 1.2 of Team Foundation Power Tools (formerly known as Power Toys).  This version includes some bug fixes to previous power tools, support for Vista, and adds the following new functionality:

• Build Test Tools Task – A tool that allows running unit tests by simply specifying the DLLs or even specifying a file name pattern in TfsBuild.proj, instead of using .vsmdi files to specify tests to run.  I previously posted this on my blog back in November, and there’s no functional difference in this power tools release.
  • Workspace Command (tfpt.exe) – This command supports “moving” a workspace from one computer to another.  The standard tf.exe workspaces /updateComputerName moves all of the workspaces on computer A to computer B.  In both cases, the files are not physically moved.  The only thing that changes is the computer name associated with the workspace.
  • Treeclean Command (tfpt.exe) – Use the treeclean command to see and optionally delete files in the current directory and all subdirectories that are not under version control, such as files produced by the build process.
  • Process Template Editor – A tool to provide UI for authoring work item types and some of the associated Process Template components.
  • Check-in Policy Pack – A set of handy check-in policies, including a checkin policy that wraps other checkin policies to allow them to be scoped by paths (this was previously released on Code Gallery), checkin comment requirement policy, and more.

Please note that the Process Template Editor has some additional pre-requisites, they are identified on the download page.  The Power Tools MSDN Forum is available for discussing issues and requesting enhancements.

NOTE: If you go to the download page tonight, you may still see the old one.  There are still some MSDN servers that haven’t gotten the update apparently.

tags: , , , , , , ,

1. My VSTS Blog says:

The word is out ( Rob , James , Buck ) that the latest version of the Team Foundation Power Tools is

2. Buck Hodges has announced the release of the new new Team Foundation Power Tools 1.2. I can’t wait…

3. Thys says:

Great, that was worth waiting for, an IDE integrated PTE. Thanks!

4. GertD on MSDN Magazine Feb 2007. Eric Lee on Top 10 Most Often Overlooked Features in Visual Studio…

5. Great news! But the installer tells me:

Another version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel.

So I went and tried to remove the previous TFPT installation using Add/Remove Programs, but:

Error 1721. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

So I can’t install the new one, and can’t uninstall the old one. Rather than write yet another rant on my increasingly whiny blog :), how do I troubleshoot this?

6. buckh says:

Here’s the solution from Brian’s most recent blog post (http://blogs.msdn.com/bharry/archive/2007/02/23/yet-more-team-foundation-server-power-tools.aspx):

I’ve already seen one problem crop up – uninstalling the old TFPT release on Vista.  You get the error "Error 1721.  There is a problem with with Windows Installer package. …".  You either need to disable UAC or you can run msiexec /i tfpt.msi.

Buck

7. Brendan says:

I am using the new TestToolstask to run tests without a test list and it is (sort of) working. I have a couple of questions though:

– When the solution contains multiple test projects, each projects test reults go into a separate results file. You no longer seem to get the single results summary that you get using the test list approach. Am I doing something wrong here as I would really like the results in a single place.

– As a consequence of the above, you need to set ContinueOnError to true in order to ensure that all test projects are run. However, when you do this the build reports as succeeded even when a test case fails.

Basically, does anyone know a way to run the tests in multiple Unit Test dlls as a single test run?

Thanks,

Brendan

8. Mike's Blog says:

As most of you TFS addicts, I also immediately installed the new TFS Power Tools. Like Marcel de Vries

9. mcarbenay says:

Is this version supporting credentials-entering dialog box ?

I’m using TFS client on multiple computers, one beeing my personal Windows XP Media Center-based laptop. As I’m not in the same domain as team foundation, I have to enter my credentials when Visual Studio connects to TFS which is cumbersome but works. Alas, when I use tfpt, I just have an access denied message and no way to pass my credentials to ftpt :'(.

Or is there a command line switch that I have missed ?

10. buckh says:

I think the /login:user,password switch should work, but I haven’t tried it.

Buck

11. buckh says:

Brendan, the solution to the problem is posted at http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1357810&SiteID=1&mode=1 (see Aaron’s response about modifying the .targets file).

I’m planning to post an update with this and another feature for the TestToolsTask in the near future.

Buck