Microsoft Teams and Microsoft Planner–what to expect

With the release of Microsoft Teams there is a new experience with Microsoft Planner – plans are one of the items that can be added within a team – and you can add multiple plans!  There are a few differences between the way these ‘Team Plans’ behave – but they are real ‘Planner Plans’ and are stored in exactly the same service.  First a little background that will help understand why they behave as they do…

With Planner currently there is a one to one relationship between Plans and Groups.  Create a Plan and it creates a Group – Create a Group and it creates a Plan.  Same with Teams – create a Team and it creates a Group – which creates a Plan.  So how do the plans created within Teams fit in to all this?  I’ll walk you through a scenario…

I create a Team in my Office 365 tenant (after switching on Teams in Admin, Settings, Services and add-ins – then selecting Teams and enabling…) called BSPJO_Team:

image

Once I have done this I also see this as a Group in Outlook in Office 365:

image

And in Planner – this Plan is also available:

image

Now if I add a new Plan via my BSPJO_Team called My PJO Blog Team:

image

image

The first thing you will notice is that this doesn’t prompt for an e-mail address to associate with the team.  As this is within a Team it does not get its own e-mail and associated SharePoint site (so conversations and attachments are also not available directly in the plan – but of course at the Team level you have these capabilities anyway).

Once I create this plan I’m going to add a task called My Blog Team Task and assign myself:

image

If I now go to Planner I do not see this new plan in my Planner hub:

image

But I do see the assigned task in My tasks:

image

I can work on this task in either environment – and after setting a category in Planner:

image

I can see the same category set in Teams:

image

This is all expected behaviour, and the piece that is a little confusing is that the My PJO Blog Team plan does not show in the Planner hub.  This is actually filtered out as the plan does not have the usual one to one relationship to Groups – but could be one of many under the BSPJO_Team Group.  This will change at some point as we move towards having a many to one relationship to Groups outside of the Microsoft Teams scenario.

One other condition I will make you aware of – the synchronization of differences between plans, tasks etc. happens regularly to ensure changes other people make are visible to you – but there is a limit per user of 4 ‘diff sync’ processes – and the addition of Planner to Teams means that this is another ‘client’ that may be syncing.  So once we also release other clients (iOS, Android and Windows) then you may reach this limit if you also have a laptop browser or two open.  One of these will get an error (not sure of the exact text) which indicates you cannot be serviced at this time.

I hope this helps to understand the current behaviour of plans within teams.

1. Gavin Ashton says:

Kudos for being up front about the potential usability issue.

Just started using Planner within my team and noticed one thing in particular; Any chance the UI will display associated group icons at some point? I have a few where because the group names are constrained in length and the share the first so many characters, the icon initials are the same, and you basically have to know which order they appear in the list or randomly click around trying to get the right one. The group icons we assigned in AzAD make it clear which is which.

1. Hi Gavin, I’ll try and find an answer for you. It would certainly make sense to keep consistency with AzAD.

2. Marc Soester says:

Great post. Quite a nifty way using multiple plans for the same team. I wonder when we see some kind of integration between Groups / Team and Project Online. Certainly a very compelling case scenario;)
    Thanks mate

1. Enno Olbrich says:

Hi Marc, you are right. The integration of Planner/Groups and Project is quite a compelling scenario. Therefore we developed our SOLVIN Planner Bridge, which takes care of this specific connection:

3. Zapp says:

Sharing this awareness is very helpful Brian. In addition to the future integration, is there any possibility (maybe I am missing it) that a planner project can be saved as a template and reused – either within Planner or MS Teams?

1. Templates are certainly on the teams backlog Zapp – not sure exactly when they might appear. I don’t know if Teams are also looking at templates.

1. Hi,
        A template would be perfect!

My teams do repetitive tasks for different customers, so I’m trying to be consistent when creating the plans. With a template, that would be way more productive!

I’m very impressed with the power of Planner. Also, I was thinking to go for #Slack. I’m not a MS fan (sorry) but this MS product rocks.

All the best.

Ps. Were you at Great Sand Dunes in CO? 🙂

1. Yes Gustavo – I’m looking forward to the template too. No apology necessary for not being a Microsoft fan, and very pleased we might win you over with Planner if we get the features right.
          And yes, I had a long road trip in May – Salt Lake City to Albuquerque and Great Sand Dunes was one of the highlights. Amazing place. More pictures at https://www.flickr.com/photos/bsmi067/albums/72157669369164685 if you are interested :).

1. Gustavo Barizon says:

Super Cool!

4. john smith says:

Are Teams the same as Office group? With a group i get a shared mailbox and a shared doc library. They appear in Outlook under the groups section.

1. They are not the same John – but related. When you create a Team you get a Group – so it is really the Group that is giving you the shared mailbox and library. Planner and Power BI also use Groups in a similar way.

5. Jan Kladivko says:

Hi Brian,

Is there any way to display the plans in Planner, which were created in Microsoft Teams atm? It’s really unfortunate that I cannot see the graphic overview which allows us Planner on the plans from MS Teams..

Thanks in advance,
    Jan

1. Not currently Jan – but it is coming hopefully soon!

6. Jan Florian says:

Can I ask why is the fact, that Plan created from the connector within Teams not visible in actual Planner? I just cannot figure out why is that a good think. Also I just don’t really get why the plan created with the creation of group asociated with my team not assignable (or automatically assigned), when I am creating new plan from teams. From my point of view, it would be really very helpful, if I could have everything in one place, because I don’t want to go everytime to Planner, if I have the connector in Teams – that should actually be the points of having connector, so I don’t have to open browser and search for Planner, when I can only works on desktop Teams client.
    Thx for answer

1. The current behaviour is not ideal Jan and we are working to address the concerns you raise. My blog was an attempt to explain what you will see today and some of this is driven by technical considerations between the relationship of Planner to Groups (1 to 1) and the tabs inside Teams which can be many to one. Once we have addressed this issue I will update the blog.

1. Jan Florian says:

Hi Brian,
        thank You for the prompt reply. I am really looking forward to the solution You’ll come up.
        Best regards
        Jan

1. thibaut says:

Hello
          I’m waiting also for a quick solution in order to use Microsoft Team with Planner.
          Without this solution it s not possible for my team to use it.
          Thanks

7. Agustín says:

Hi Brian,
    I’ve created a Team with “TEAMS”. Then I added one plan. I can see it in the planner hub but when I open it, It’s empty.
    Is this expected? Am I having sync issues?

Thanks in advance

1. Hi Agustin – does this plan have the same name as the team? We do have a current limitation that the team are working on where plans created within the Team are not exposed in the Planner web UI. You will see the Pan that relates to the Team/Group name though. The team are working on more complete support of these plans within teams. I’ll post a blog as they progress with these changes.

8. Simone says:

How do I subscribe to a Plan created from Teams? I would like my team to be able to receive emails when a task is assigned to them or updated. It is hard to keep my team updated without this feature…

1. Hi Simone – currently the plans within a team do not directly relate to a mailbox – so no conversation support. The overall plan relating to the team that can be seen outside of the team and bears the same name does support conversations – but I appreciate this is not what you are looking for. I will blog as the product group makes progress towards supporting conversations in these plans.

9. Darlene says:

Is there a way to add an existing plan to a team or channel?

1. Not yet Darlene – but that is one of the items the Planner product group are working on.
      Brian

10. Mike Erps says:

Hi Brian,

Great post! One of the challenges I am having (along with my colleagues) is that when we create a Plan within Teams, we are not getting any type of notifications that a task was assigned to a person. So for example, if i create a plan and assign a coworker a task, that coworker has no idea that they have a task assigned to him/her (of course unless you log in and look at the Team site, or into Planner directly as you described above).

The other issue is there is no notification that a task is due soon, or overdue, etc. This issue might be resolved once the above is resolved, but also wanted to point that out.

Thanks,
    Mike

11. Ozge says:

Hi Brian,
    I have 2 things;
    1- I’ve created a team in Teams and added a planner into it. The tasks I created there does not appear on Hub-Planner or on my Planner list. I only see them under “My Tasks”. Are they not linked?
    2- Will it be possible in time to add assignment to the checklist items under one task?
    Thanks a lot, Ozge

1. Hi Ozge, for number 1 that is exactly what I explain in the blog post. In the future it will work as you expect and the tasks and plans are linked – but the ‘Team’ plans are currently filtered from the Planner Hub.
      Not aware of any plans to add assignments to checklist items – probably a good suggestion for the Planner UserVoice forum https://planner.uservoice.com/forums/330525-microsoft-planner-feedback-forum.
      Brian

12. Ben Reynolds says:

Thanks for the helpful post, Brian.

Our Planner workflow leans heavily on being able to attach creative assets and also requires a comment trail. Both of these pieces of functionality seem to be missing from the Planner functionality within Teams. Am I missing something, or is this accurate? If accurate, any plans to add this functionality?

Thanks again,
    Ben.

1. Yes, Ben, the plan is to get parity – I don’t have a timeframe right now though.
      Brian

13. Hi Brian,

The tasks that I have created in Teams are not making it to o365 Planner at all. Is there something else that needs to been enabled to have that level of integration?

1. If they are tasks assigned to you Lenny they should show up in Planner under Tasks – but currently the Plans will not show under Planner Hub. Let me know if this isn’t happening.
      Brian.

1. This is not happening. The tasks assigned to me are not making it to o365 planner. Thanks for your reply!

2. I do see the tasks that are assigned to me in “My Tasks”. It sounds like this is the current behavior.

14. chris shaida says:

Brian, this is very helpful. Thanks for posting! Any hints you can provide yet about HOW architecturally Planner will be changed to accommodate the many-to-one scenario? (ie, ADDing a layer inside a planner above buckets to align with a channel a la the way a ‘Section’=Channel works inside a Notebook? or adding a grouping mechanism above a planner that ties to a Team/Group? or?)

1. I don’t know exactly yet Chris =- I’ll see what I can find out.

15. Tomasz Klimek says:

Any chances to add more than one assignee to the task?

1. It is on the roadmap Tomasz – I’ll see if I can get a good timeline for when this will appear.

16. bolster111 says:

Any timeline on when you will be able to see team plans in the planner hub. Or the possibility of switching to the chart view in the planner tab on the team sites?

1. The team are working on it and I’ll try and get an ETA bolster111.

17. Laurel P says:

Great article that summarizes these features!
    Does this mean we will keep Planner in our tenant? We are an Education client and we’re receiving notices that Planner was going away.

1. I’m guessing they saw the Planner Preview messages as we moved from Preview to General Availabilty – it isn’t going away Laurel (although we do have a service issue right now as you might see in your Service Health Dashboard).

18. Amber Hollenbeck says:

Any update on when templates might be available?

1. I’ll see if I can get an ETA for you Amber.

19. Mark Chevis says:

Can planner retrieve tasks from Project Online Proffesional? I understood that the two would be interconnected allowing tasks to be allocated and managed in planner feeding from Project? Guidance appreciated, M

1. This is on the roadmap Mark – and there are already some 3rd party options to do this from our partners.

20. Tim Banting says:

This seems really complex. I hope that Microsoft add Planner within teams so the functionality maps across apps or just gets assimilated into Teams. Too many choices, too complex, too easy for organizations to go back to email 🙁

1. This will get easier Tim – the engineering work is happening to make Planner work more seamlessly in or outside Teams.

21. Jose Rioja says:

My co-workers and i can`t see our tasks because when pressing “my tasks” button it get stuck on loading…please help

1. We had a problem today that is just being resolved Jose – it is also mentioned in your Service Health Dashboard so your admin should be able to see the details. We expect all should be ok in the next couple of hours as the fix rolls out.

Skip to main content