Project Server 2007: Service Pack 2 (SP2) is now available!

Rather than repeat everything – Christophe has a great posting with all the links! http://blogs.msdn.com/chrisfie/archive/2009/04/28/announcing-service-pack-2-sp2-for-microsoft-project-2007-and-microsoft-project-server-2007.aspx

I will just remind you of the Webcasts tomorrow (29th) and Thursday (30th) – I  encourage everyone to attend the Project 2007 Service Pack 2 Overview webcast scheduled for April 29 at 8 am Pacific Time, and April 30 at 5 pm Pacific Time (webcast details are posted on EPMConnect). Adrian Jenkins and Christophe Fiessinger will cover the following topics during the webcast: SP2 Overview, April Cumulative Update Overview, Deployment Best Practices, Next Steps, Questions and Answers.

Another part of the SP2 announcement to highlight is around requirements for the next release of SharePoint and Project Server: Windows Server 2008 and 64 bit. We will be publishing guidance on how to upgrade your existing Project Server 2007 farm to Windows Server 2008 64 bit in the coming weeks on TechNet. Expect full system requirements for Project Server 2010 at a latter date.

1. Johan says:

Hi Brian,

I have a question. Is it mandatory to install Project SP2 on clients if you install Project Server SP2 on the servers? If not, what update version is the minimum on clients that you need?

Kind regards,

Johan

2. Hi Johan,

It is not mandatory.  The only guidance regarding minimum versions is that a change in behavior was made to fixed duration tasks.  This change was just prio to the Infrastructure Update and included in the IU and every CU since. This was contained in both a client and server hotfix (952000 & 952067), so as long as both client and server are a higher release that this things will be good.

Brian.

3. With the recently released Project 2007 and Project Server 2007 Service Pack 2 (SP2) along with the Project

4. Dinesh says:

Hello Brian,

I understand there is a change to the Project Server 2007 SP2 release number? Do you have the exact SP2 release numbers for Project 2007 Pro, WSS 3.0 and Project Server.

5. Dinesh says:

Hello Brian,

This is not a SP2 specific question, but I am curious if client and server CU MUST BE vs SHOULD BE applied together. I understand it is -SHOULD BE (i.e. it’s a best practice)

Dinesh

6. Ed says:

Hi Brian,

Do you happen to know the build (version?) numbers for the April WSS and Project Server CU’s?  We have applied both SP2 and April in our test environment and I’d like to verify success or failure.

Thanks.

7. Hi Dinesh,

For client and server "should be" is the right answer.  If you use fixed duration tasks then you must have both client and server to at least IU level.

The SP2 numbers have not changed, but you do see slightly different numbers in different places.  The Versions tables in the DB show 12.0.6422.1000 wheras add/remove programs shows 12.0.6425.1000.

And Ed, for the April CU you will see 12.0.6503.5000 in the Versions table, although on the support site the overall release number shown for the Project Server CU is 6504.5000.  The differences occur as not all components (such as the piece that updates the DB) is updated in all builds.  Likewise you could see different DLLs showing slight differences from the overall build numbers.

I hope this helps,

Brian.

8. Daniele says:

Hi Brian, i’m Italian and i’ve a general question about these microsoft updates.

If i install now Project Professional 2007 and Project Server 2007, i need to upgrade in sequence with:

– Service Pack 1;

– Infrastructure Update;

– Any other hotfix or kb update (i don’t know how many);

– Service Pack 2;

or is enough to install the Service Pack 2??? that may be (but i really don’t believe)contain all the previous upgrade???

Thanks for your help.

9. Hi Daniele,

It is sufficient to load just SP2, then you can add April CU to be completely up to date.  This applies to both client and server (and WSS and MOSS too).

Brian.

10. Ville says:

Hi Brian,

updating Project Server 2007 SP2 or April CU.

Steps to repro:

1) Update Project Server 2007 Sp2 and/or April CU (either with language packs or without language packs us-en)

2) Open My Tasks (with Timephased view setting turrned on) from a user who has work planned for a project task in a Proposal or an Activity

3) Try to enter actual work for this task

4) The task and the days are visible, but the grid is grayed out

5) User cannot enter actuals for the particular task, only % complete can be used.

We have tested the issue on more than three virtual environments and are able to replicate this in each environment.

We have quite a few customers who use PWA to report actual hours.

How could this issue be resolved?

11. Hi Ville,

The option for timephased tracking has never been available for Activity Plans and Proposals (server side projects) as far as I can remember.  It is only an option for full projects.  I don’t think this behavior is changed by SP2 and the April CU.

Brian.

12. Further update on this one Ville – it appears we "broke" the behavior I mention when we updated the My Tasks to better handle timephased data.  The break was that projects with tracking methods other than "by period" could over-ride the PMs wishes and enter time per day.  This included server side projects which are constrained to % complete and remaining hours.  So we just "fixed" this to not allow timephased entry where the tracking method should not permit it – and this is why you saw the behavior change.  I’d sure like to hear any other feedback on this change.

Brian.

13. Jussi says:

Hi,

What is then the "official correct way" to get team member’s themselves to imput their own hours to the project? We’ve used My Task for a long time in many projects and it has been very useful. Now this is disabled after SP2 was installed.

Jussi

14. Hi Jussi,

It wasn’t actually disabled in SP2 – but a bug fixed that had allowed time-phased time entry even when the Project Manager had stipulated a time tracking method of remaining work and percent complete.  As server side projects such as activity plans and proposals also have this tracking method "hard-coded" this change affected them too.  If you projects are not server-side then setting a tracking method of time entered per period should allow the behavior you want.  If they are server side projects let me know too – I am interested to understand what issues this change may have caused our customers.

Brian.

15. Michael M says:

Hi Brian,

Have a couple of questions regarding upgrading to Project server SP2.

If i’m upgrading from Infrastructure update level to SP2, can I install SP2 straight on top. I have read in the article "Deploy Service Pack 2 for Office Project Server 2007" under the important section on the microsoft site(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd637740.aspx) that I’m required to first install 952000 & 952067 before(we do used fixed duration task) installing SP2. Is this correct?

If it is correct, if I install the updates in a test environment, and have some users perform some testing(who will have 952067 and SP2 installed) will there be any issue in the interim if they connect to our live environment which will only has the infrastructure update?

Thanks Michael

16. Jussi says:

Thanks for your reply. We need a server-side solution. We still need to have a similar form for project members to daily enter their hours into the project. With My Task this was working all right until we installed SP2. Now all you can do is to increase or decrease the total actual work (summary) for the tasks and this is not adequate: we need a daily input and see afterwards what particular dates these hours correspond. Any suggestions?

Question2: Does this SP2 help to get time-phased information from projects too: OLAP Cubes, Data Analysis & Reporting? Previously there was no logic why sometimes got time-phased data out of the projects and sometimes not so the system could not be fully used for what was planned.

Jussi

17. Hi Michael,

I’m just getting clarification on this – but my understanding is you should have a t leadt these hotfixes if you have yet to install SP2 – but they are not pre-requisites.  Once I have clarification I’ll see if we can get the paragraph re-written.  No issues of mixing the hotfixes and SP2 – main issue is having at least the hotfix on client and server.

Brian.

18. Hi Jussi,

No other suggestions currently for timephased, server side plans. I will be using your feedback and that from others to see how widespread a problem we have caused by "fixing" this problem.  I am not aware of SP2 changing other aspects of timephased data from the reporting db, but the behavior should be that all projects that have tracking method set to percent complete will not have timephased data – unless timesheets are bing used for all time entry, in which case the timesheet cubes will hold the time phasing, but the import of time to tasks will not maintain it.  My suggestion would be to set tracking method to "per period" for all projects – but this will still not help with server side projects.

Brian.

19. Michael – just confirmed these hotfixes are NOT pre-reqs for SP2, but advisable if you are not yet ready to apply SP2.  I’ve added some community content to the TechNet page and requested a change in wording.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Brian

20. Michael M says:

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply and clarification.

Just to confirm,

1. SP2 doesn’t include the Hotfix 952000 &  Hotfix 952067?

2.If I apply the SP2 updates and Hotfix 952000 and 952067 on a test server and some users PC, will anything be affected if the users with the SP2 and hotfix access our Live environment.

Thanks

Michael.

21. Hi Michael,

SP2 DOES contain the hotfixes.  A better description of the relationship would be that as SP2 for the server contains the server hotfix KB 952000, you should ensure the clients have at least KB 952067 if you are not intending to patch clients to SP2 immediately.  Likewise if you are patching the clients first to SP2 then the server should have at least KB 952000.

This is really advice for customers not updating both clients and server together – and upgrading from SP1.

In answer to question 2 – if your live environment does not have at least KB 952000 on the server then patched clients would be best not to connect if you use fixed duration tasks.

I should also add that ALL CU’s and SPs are cumulative – and these KB’s have been included since the Infrastrucure Update.

I hope this helps.

Brian.

22. Bradley Ward says:

I have discovered another issue related to the version information you get from Project Server 2007 once you have installed SP2.

I have an application that uses the PSI calls to interact with PS2007. I need to use some of the calls in the Admin.asmx service that did not exist until SP2 came out. Since my application would fail if it was run against a PS2007 installation that is pre-SP2, I use the Admin services ReadServerVersion() method to get the version of PS2007.

When I was running on SP1, I would get a version of "12.0.15" back from the ReadServerVersion(), or:

WADMIN_VERSION_MAJOR    =  12

WADMIN_VERSION_MINOR    =  0

WADMIN_VERSION_REVISION =  15

But after I installed PS2007 SP2, I now get a version of "12.0.0", or:

WADMIN_VERSION_MAJOR    =  12

WADMIN_VERSION_MINOR    =  0

WADMIN_VERSION_REVISION =  0

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,

Brad

23. Hi Brad, I am asking around on this one. I hadn’t heard of this problem – I’ll keep you posted.

Brian

24. Hi Brad – I did a quick test, and projtool is returning 12.0.6422.1000 and displaying in the status bar at the bottom.  What does this show for you? (ProjTool is in the SDK – I guess you know that – posting for other readers benefit).

Brian.

25. Awie Viljoen says:

Hi,

We are upgrading to SP2 for both server and client and are currently only on SP1.

We updated our test enviroment to SP2 and April CU.

I then installed Office SP2 and Project 2007 SP2.

When I connect to Testing the actual work gests spread out and changes but if a SP1 client connects the actual work is fine.

1.What might have gone wrong?

2.Is there anything (versions) I can check and where.

3.If SP2 is on client and server fix duration should not be an issue.

I more info is required please ask.

Awie

26. Jeremy says:

Hi guys, this is a late post, but regarding Ville issue : we have identified an issue where Project Server 2007 PWA users cannot enter actuals via My Tasks any more after

updating Project Server 2007 SP2 or April CU.

we’ve just experienced the same issue and managed to get help from MS Premier, it appears that after applying the SP2 update, there’s a radio button that is "unchecked" in every project plan, preventing the PWA user’s to enter their actuals.

The fix is very simple, but lengthy, for every active project, open the plan in MS Project, go to Tools –> Options –> Collaborate and check the radio button that fits your need best (in our case it was "Hours of work done per period").

I know this issue was raised a long time ago, but I hope it’ll help people anyway.

cheer,

Jeremy

27. Joseph says:

I am wondering if you have a solution to Error 7882 Unable to start service process. I have looked online and created a registry dependency for MS-SQL I have tried various accounts and gave them logon priviliges and installed SP2 and followed TechNet installation instructions but both "ProjectQueueService" and "Service: pjevtsvc" error out every single minute even if I restart from Services. Any idea would be appreciated. Thanks!

28. Hi Joseph,

I’m not familar with this issue.  Have you changed the account used for the service?  This should nver be edited through the services applet as it is controlled by the farm and the service should start as the farm administrator.  It will then spawn other instances for each SSP which hosts PWA sites – and these instances will run as the SSP administrator.

Brian.